The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unresolving of subdomains with www

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pere Vineta, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

Hi all,

I run a small hosting company and have found that some subdomains are not pointing to the right place when requested with &www&. As an example, kindly see a customer domain and subdomain...

www.tiempodepoesia.com =& ok
    tiempodepoesia.com =& ok
    poemasdeangie.tiempodepoesia.com =& ok
    www.poemasdeangie.tiempodepoesia.com =& WRONG !!

In the last case, what we get is a list of files instead of the relevant site.

I will appreciate your inputs. Just to tell you that I am a reseller and have only access to WHM and CPanel. Not to the server. But I am with FreeStyleHosting and have good relation with Diederik and he will help me for sure.

Thanks in advance for yopur suggestions.

2. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

Thank you, Thaphantom, for your reply.

Nevertheless one should access to a subdomain with www in the front. There is a lot of subdomains in the net accessed with www.

So maybe my question now is: what can be done to have a www.subdomain.domain.com pointing to subdomain.domain.com ?

Thank you !

3. SprintSlash

SprintSlash Well-Known Member

You're outta luck on this one.. you'll just have to submit that feature request to cpanel support..

If you had root access, I believe that you could edit the httpd.conf file to make what you wanted to work. But you probably have to do that for every subdomain, which is a lot of work if there's many subdomains.

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

There is a difference between a general sudomains and zoned subdomains.

If you have an account with the domain called 'domain.com' and add a subdomain of 'one', the subdomain will only be accessible by 'one.domain.com', not 'www.one.domain.com'.

If you actually create an account with the domain called 'one.domain.com', then you will have both of them. This is because the 'one.domain.com' exists as it's own zone. That entry can them have subdomains (or just general hostname CNAMEs associated with it, such as 'www').

This is quite standard.

Jaz

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:bcdd9b48e0][i:bcdd9b48e0]Originally posted by Pere Vineta[/i:bcdd9b48e0]

Thank you, Thaphantom, for your reply.

Nevertheless one should access to a subdomain with www in the front. There is a lot of subdomains in the net accessed with www.

So maybe my question now is: what can be done to have a www.subdomain.domain.com pointing to subdomain.domain.com ?

Thank you ![/quote:bcdd9b48e0]Actually, that's not true. The 'www' itself is a just a Sub-domain pointer -- pointing to the Domain name -- added automatically by Apache because of inertia from doing it this way for so long. So to use 'www.subdomain.domain.com' means you are using two Sub-domains within the the URL.

If you want to do it that way you need to ask your Hoster about &wildcard& DNS settings. There is another way as well but also needs to be done by Hoster and the first method is easier, so try that one first.

6. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

Thanks all of you for your clarifiying answers.

I would just like to add that by creating an independent account with WHM as subdomain.domain.com we can access either as www.subdomain.domain.com or as subdomain.domain.com.

Only when created from CPanel the access is only by means of subdomain.domain.com and NOT using www.

Does this give any additional idea?

Again, thank you for your time. You are helping me a lot.

7. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

[quote:dfd070b50a][i:dfd070b50a]Originally posted by Pere Vineta[/i:dfd070b50a]

Thanks all of you for your clarifiying answers.

I would just like to add that by creating an independent account with WHM as subdomain.domain.com we can access either as www.subdomain.domain.com or as subdomain.domain.com.

Only when created from CPanel the access is only by means of subdomain.domain.com and NOT using www.

Does this give any additional idea?

Again, thank you for your time. You are helping me a lot.[/quote:dfd070b50a]

Did you not read my post above? This is how DNS works.

8. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

Oooops, Jsteel, I've done the wrong way... I have first written and then read. Sorry... :p

Pere

9. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

By the way, Jsteel, I have set up a DNS Zone in my WHM like &subdomain.domain.com& but still &www.subdomain.domain.com& doesn't work.

(Probably your answer will be something like &Pere, you don't understand anything&)...

And certainly I have realized that creating an account with WHM type subdomain.domain.com one can get the site with WWWs but when created with CPanel, only without WWWs.

mmmmm...

10. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Would it work by adding the new name to the ServerAlias directive? Something like this:

ServerName subdomain.example.com
    ServerAlias www.subdomain.example.com

Edit: hum, I guess it wouldn't. The full name still would have to resolve to the server...

11. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

[quote:5805430fee][i:5805430fee]Originally posted by Pere Vineta[/i:5805430fee]

By the way, Jsteel, I have set up a DNS Zone in my WHM like &subdomain.domain.com& but still &www.subdomain.domain.com& doesn't work.

(Probably your answer will be something like &Pere, you don't understand anything&)...

And certainly I have realized that creating an account with WHM type subdomain.domain.com one can get the site with WWWs but when created with CPanel, only without WWWs.

mmmmm...[/quote:5805430fee]

Does your zone file contain a CNAME entry for 'www'?

12. Pere Vineta

Pere Vineta Member

Tks again Jsteel for your answer.

But sorry to say I hardly understand what you mean (my lack of knowledge...)

If what you mean is the settings I have in my domain, I use eNom and use their DNSs so I put there as follows...

HostName RecordType Address
    @ (none) A myIP
    www A myIP
    subdomain A myIP

...but do you mean I should put...

www CNAME myIP ???

Thanks again for your time.

Pere