Unrouteable address Exim 4

Mathieu

Registered
Dec 11, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We having problem sending email to a domain

When sending an email to "localdomain1" from other localdomains it bounced back with error "Unrouteable address"
when I checked the view relayers in mail on our Cpanel I can see that the recipient address has been altered with the symbol ">:" at the end of the domain name.
We checked that is not an issue with a wrong address book entry as it's happening while using the webmail.
"localdomain1" domain can receive email from external domains.

if you have any idea how to fix it.

I've read things on the forum about changing the update information to EDGE (currently on RELEASE) not sure if that is a good idea...
We thought of an issue regarding IPV6 or SSL3, if anybody experience a similar issue..

Thanks

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Could you confirm that email for this domain name is routed locally? Does it use MX records that point to the local server? If so, check to see if the domain name is in the /etc/localdomains file. EX:

Code:
grep $domain /etc/localdomains
Thank you.

jrxpress

Sep 26, 2014
New York, United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We having problem sending email to a domain

When sending an email to "localdomain1" from other localdomains it bounced back with error "Unrouteable address"
when I checked the view relayers in mail on our Cpanel I can see that the recipient address has been altered with the symbol ">:" at the end of the domain name.
We checked that is not an issue with a wrong address book entry as it's happening while using the webmail.
"localdomain1" domain can receive email from external domains.

if you have any idea how to fix it.

I've read things on the forum about changing the update information to EDGE (currently on RELEASE) not sure if that is a good idea...
We thought of an issue regarding IPV6 or SSL3, if anybody experience a similar issue..

Thanks
hello Mathieu, I also had the same trouble with one of my client's dedicated server and somehow I was able to fix it after I've tried to run a few CLI using terminal inside WHM panel and since I know how annoying it can be, I’ll put bellow some of the command line i've used:

# /etc/init.d/exim (stop|start|restart)

# /scripts/upcp ---force
# /scripts/updateuserdomains
# /scripts/mailperm

# /scripts/upcp

# grep [email protected] /var/log/exim_mainlog
# echo "Subject: test" | sendmail -v [email protected]

The again inside the WHM panel I've navigated to "Repair Mailbox Permissions", then a few more exim restart and test emails ; )

P.S. Don't forget to unfrozen email messages queued for delivery using the "Mail Queue Manager" and click on the options like "Deliver|Delete All" to find out if it works again ;-)

I am not sure how late is this post, but I decided to write something back since I identified myself with exactly the same problem as you described above and hopefully you have this case already solved by now.. I hope those suggestions I've mentioned on this post, also could helps someone else with this same annoying bounced back with error "Unrouteable address" and with the symbol ">:" at the end of the domain name.

Last edited: