The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[unrouted mails] going to main account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mystikzen, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mystikzen

mystikzen Member

Hello,

I noticed that when users send mails to an e-mail that doesn't exists, the mail is sent back to the main account ( mainaccount@server.com) and not the the sender (email@domain.com)

Is it an option somewhere to send back the bad mail to the user e-mail itself ?

[Edit] It works when using horde, the mail is sent back to the sender. But not for neomail and SquirrelMail

#1 mystikzen, Sep 12, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  2. mystikzen

mystikzen Member

Am I alone to have this problem ? :eek:

3. dougsonos

dougsonos Registered

Apparently Neomail and SquirrelMail do not set some header that tells the remote server where to send the bounce message -- and Horde does. Examine the headers and you may figure out what the header is.

As far as I can tell, you cannot redirects bounce messages with user-configurable Exim filters (I spent 2 days trying before I gave up and used procmail ...).

Best,
    Doug

4. mystikzen

mystikzen Member

Thx for the reply, indeed neomail and SquirrelMail doesn't send the return-path and Horde does.
    My question is so, what is procmail ?

5. dougsonos

dougsonos Registered

Procmail:

man procmail:
    http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1&topic=procmail

Google searches for "procmail quick reference" and "procmail faq" are good too.

It's basically an ugly regular expression parser that lets you send mails through unix command pipes, save them to files, forward them ...

Tonight I'm trying to use it to sort through the 400 bounces I've isolated over the last few days and separate the bounced forgeries from some mailing list messages that got falsely identified :-(

Doug