Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unsuspend_login blocking hook

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by AndyB78, May 8, 2017.

1. AndyB78

AndyB78 Well-Known Member

Hello,

First, allow me to apologize for all the noob questions/assumptions below. I am 100% new to hookable events.

The problem I am trying to solve
    Naturally, when a customer is sending spam (voluntarily or as in most cases, involuntarily) we suspend the email account affected. The problem is that there are reckless/ill-advised/thick-skinned/confused customers that simply reactivate the email account without solving the underlying problem. Naturally the spam resumes.

What I am trying to do
    I am trying to find a way to prevent the above problem by denying the unsuspension of email accounts suspended (programmatically or not) for spam right upon the unsuspension attempt, so a custom error is returned to the customer attempting this (or at least even a generic error).

Questions:
    1. Generally speaking are hookable events, the way to accomplish this or I understood completely wrong what hookable events are?
    2. Is there an appropriate hookable event for this?

Additional question:
    3. Is there a better or at least easier way to solve this?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. AndyB78

AndyB78 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I was aware of this function but I am not trying to suspend the email sending capabilities of the entire cPanel account. I want to obtain the best outcome with minimum impact on the user's activity so I just want to be able to suspend an email account in such a way that it stays suspended.

Is there a way to intercept an attempt from the user to reactivate a suspended email address?

Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You may want to vote and add feedback to the following feature request, as it's for the functionality you are seeking:

Suspend Outgoing mail for single mail account

As far as using hooks to prevent a cPanel user from unsuspending the login for an email account, you could develop a custom bash script that immediately suspends the login again using the following UAPI function:

UAPI Functions - Email::suspend_login - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

For the purposes of hooks, the corresponding UAPI function when using the "Unsuspend Login" option for email accounts in cPanel is:

UAPI::Email::unsuspend_login

Thus, you'd run your custom bash script as a hook for the unsuspend_login UAPI function using the instructions at:

Guide to Standardized Hooks - Cpanel Functions - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

This would ensure your custom bash script runs automatically anytime someone unsuspends an email account login.

Thank you.