The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

up2date -u running by itself

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abubin, Dec 26, 2005.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I notice that after one of the cpanel release updates, my up2date begins to run by itself. I don't remember it running before one of the release updates that I made. I saw up2date running by itself sometime ago but thought it was just a one time thing. Then saw this up2date running more oftern.

I would prefer to set all updates to manual because I would like to know about every updates myself and prefer doing it manually.

First, any idea how to stop this? I already set all "Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences" to manual updates only.

Second, should I let it update or you guys think it's better to do it manually? I personally think that updating manually is better so that I know of any changes and that when there is problem I would be able to trace them.

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Check to see if it is running as a cron job.

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

yup...found it in crontab...thanks but more importantly my other question...what is your current settings and what do you think?

#3 abubin, Dec 26, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  4. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the manual route as I like to be on hand if there is a glitch.
    If we could only trust auto updating. ;)

:)

5. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hehe..I guess that's my preferred method as well. Guess I just needed a little "push" to the right path.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

TBH, I find that these days RH has quite solid upgrade procedures in place through WHN up2date and always configure my servers to allow cPanel to install up2dates. Manual is fine, but you need to check whether updates are available on a daily basis incase you miss a critical security update. I wouldn't recommend allowing automatic kernel upgrades, though.

7. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

My up2date-config does shows that Kernel in the skiplist, ['kernel', 'kernel-modules']. If I am not mistaken that's the default skiplist on redhat. I believe there are also some other skiplist such as apache, php and some other important modules which I saw on the report.

Aynway, my concern for not allowing it auto update is from my nightmare on Ensim panel previously. As you know, updating any packages on Ensim server might break ensim. Eventhough, cpanel is a lot more independant than ensim, I am still not that confident.

Anyway, thanks for the guide.