The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upcp 11.15.0-CURRENT_18033 killed libX11a on freebsd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Nov 22, 2007.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Just ran upcp on a freebsd 6.2 box and then when done apache was not responding. Restarting apache produced no errors in logs and it did start a single apache task but nothing was responding and no output to logs showed up on attempts to access apache. Nothing under WHM "apache status" either.

Seems that upcp killed off libX11a and other files and tried to install a new x11 library but failed. Had to run ports update manually but not sure if I got all of it. Apache had to be recompiled (with php as thats where it seems to get the libx11 reference) and it appears ok.

Anyone else have this problem with this or newer updates of upcp on freebsd ? Dont want to update my other boxes until I know if its a single machine problem or if this will affect all 6.2 boxes.

:mad:

2. owine

owine Active Member

I have to install libX11 from ports every single time I recompile Apache. It could be related to an upcp, that would make sense.

3. nyjimbo

It is the first time I have run upcp since updating to Apache 2.0 from Apache 1.3x, I can see the log from upcp showing the deinstallation of the old libx11 and then a bunch of installs of X11 related stuff and then it fails. My guess its related to apache 2.0/2.2 and possibly xml2 as we had xml 1.9 prior to this and now show libxml2. Just moments before running the upcp I did restart apache (as well as a few other tasks) to clear out files, release memory, etc, which we have always been doing since we started with cpanel. The restart of apache was flawless just prior to this upcp but would not restart after this upcp.

My guess is that something is wrong in the upcp but perhaps only if you have apache 2 installed and it needs the newer xml libraries.

4. nyjimbo

BTW: What method are you doing for this reinstall?. I want to be sure I am not missing anything or running too much as once the X11 system starts looking for dependancies and goes up a level or two you can end up redoing the whole damn X11 system and thats a killer.

5. owine

owine Active Member

cd /usr/ports/x11/libX11 && make reinstall

If you do clean, it takes a while each time.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just tried reproducing this on 11.15.0-E18044 w/o success:

1. cd /usr/ports/x11.libX11
    2. make install
    3. Verified libX11.so is installed (and .a)
    4. /scripts/upcp
    5. ulluco# grep libX11 /var/cpanel/updatelogs/*
    /var/cpanel/updatelogs/update.1195848711.log:libX11 is up to date
    6. Verified libX11 is indeed still installed.

ulluco# uname -a
    FreeBSD ulluco.cptxoffice.net 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007 root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Might already be fixed, seeing as EDGE is newer than Current. If it persists after Current hits 18044+, post to this thread, I'm monitoring it.

7. nyjimbo

I reproduced the error just now on another machine.

1. cd /usr/ports/x11/libX11
    2. make install
    3. Verified libX11.so is installed (and .a)
    4. /scripts/upcp
    5. Went back to /usr/local/lib and all libX11 files gone.

Redid above steps 1-3 and libX11 files back. This was on a freebsd 6.2 box going from 17944 current to 18044 edge.

8. nyjimbo

Found this in the upcp log:

Source: packages-6.2-release looking up ftp1.freebsd.org connecting to ftp1.freebsd.org:21 binding data socket initiating transfer remote size / mtime: 1193737 / 1160972971 /var/spool/cpbsdpkgs/libX11-6.2.1_3.tbz 1165 kB 163 kBps Deinstalling old: libX11 [Updating the pkgdb in /var/db/pkg ... - 157 packages found (-0 +1) . done] ---> Deinstalling 'libX11-1.1.3,1' ---> Preserving /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6 as /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libX11.so.6 Trying to remove dependency on package 'pkg-config-0.21' with 'devel/pkg-config' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'xtrans-1.0.4' with 'x11/xtrans' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'xproto-7.0.10_1' with 'x11/xproto' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'libXdmcp-1.0.2' with 'x11/libXdmcp' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'kbproto-1.0.3' with 'x11/kbproto' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'inputproto-1.4.2.1' with 'x11/inputproto' origin. Trying to remove dependency on package 'libXau-1.0.3_2' with 'x11/libXau' origin. Change working directory to /usr/local Delete file /usr/local/man/man3/AllPlanes.3.gz Delete file /usr/local/man/man3/BitmapBitOrder.3.gz Delete file /usr/local/man/man3/BitmapPad.3.gz Delete file
    [removed alot of text here, just lots of files deletes]
    /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8 Delete directory /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/el_GR.UTF-8 Delete directory /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/C Delete directory /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/armscii-8 Delete directory /usr/local/lib/X11/locale Execute '/sbin/ldconfig -R' [Updating the pkgdb in /var/db/pkg ... - 156 packages found (-1 +0) (...) done] ---> Listing the results (+:done / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed) + libX11-1.1.3,1 ---> Packages processed: 1 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 0 failed Requested space: 4774948 bytes, free space: 6318931968 bytes in /var/spool/cpbsdpkgs/instmp.5DZBWl pkg_add: package 'libX11-6.2.1_3' conflicts with xorg-libraries-6.9.0 pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s) or -f to force installation pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed Running post install scripts for libX11....Done

So something is getting messed up during the run of upcp if it finds an older libX11, this is on the second machine so far and I think this is what will kill apache 2 if we convert this and other machines from apache1.3 to 2.

9. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the added info on that nyjimbo. Do you know what, or why, xorg-libraries-6.9.0 is installed? Was it part of the OS install or added later (if you can remember)?

10. nyjimbo

I dont think I did them intentionally, but they are on all the machines so its possible something was installed somewhere at some time and BAM the xorg stuff went in. These were clean freebsd installs with no intentional X11 added stuff. I don't recall anything putting it in but I am sure it was some complex "web" of dependancies from something at some point.

11. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

The X11 structure is NEEDED and is always part of the OS install...This has been an issue with cpanel for years always conflicting with updated ports. Whomever is the BSD developer should have told you this and here is why the X11 is used for.

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/x11/

12. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

This is how I would run it. First, get the latest port package.

# cd /usr/ports
    make fetchindex

cd /usr/ports/x11/libX11
    make depend ; make ; make reinstall

13. kristof

kristof Member

Same Problem here. :mad:
    After upcp Cpanel/WHM stops running, even after a reboot.

14. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

Its available in the OS install but is optional and only needed if you want a GUI (the majority if not all of the items listed at the URL you posted are GUI related) which servers do not.

There are somethings that need some of the (devel?) libraries (GD?) but not the full blown X11/Free86

In fact a full blown X GUI install is a security risk on hosting servers, see "After Installation I am having problems with X windows / XFree86 ?" at http://faq.cpanel.net/show.cgi?qa=106268362908467

HTH :)

15. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

ticket number?

16. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

Excellent info, ticket number?

17. nyjimbo

That seems to work fine on our non-cpanel boxes but on the cpanel machines the "make fetchindex" doesnt do anything and the same old libX11 gets reinstalled.

18. nyjimbo

Just a follow up note. If I do a "pkg_delete xorg-libraries-6.9.0" it shows alot of xorg, xterm and other dependancies and wont delete without a force or recursive delete command but also shows imagemagick which I think is a major part of the cpanel upcp process as we see it each time upcp is run.

19. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are two different methods of installing software on FreeBSD: precompiled binary Packages (think pkg_add) and ports. The use of such by cPanel is dictated by the /var/cpanel/usebsdpkgs flag file. If that file is present, cPanel attempts to use the precompiled binaries for everything, with ports as a fallback. Otherwise it defaults to using ports for everything. Trouble arises if that flag file is removed. The next upcp that occurs then switches to ports for everything.

On one test system, removing that flag file, then running /scripts/upcp --force caused serious issues. Issues like I could no longer build Apache on the system (since recovered). It's quite likely that the issue you are experiencing is related to the mixture of Ports and Packages.

20. DJ XtAzY

DJ XtAzY Member

I'm currently using FreeBSD 6.2 but i wasn't able to reproduce the problem you guys experiencing. I also followed this thread http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=66792, which was to remove the /var/cpanel/usebsdpkgs file. I also did /script/upcp --force with no problems whatsoever. I always prefer add files from ports than precompiled pkgs.