The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upcp and proftpd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jive, Jan 26, 2004.

1. jive

jive Registered

I don't need proftpd, so I removed it. I edited chkservd.d to
    remove the proftpd entry. Now, the daily upcp script has kindly reintalled proftpd for me :mad:

How do I stop upcp from doing this - couldn't find out how by looking at the script.

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Uncheck FTP in the service manager section of WHM. cPanel may install ProFTP on the first night, but it won't attempt to start it. If it does, submit a bug report.

3. jive

jive Registered

The Proftpd check box in the service manager doesn't work - there's another report of it one of these threads. I removed the chkservd.d entry for Proftpd, but the upcp script keeps installing proftpd and when I do a status check it's running again.

4. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to submit a bug report.

5. jb605

jb605 Member

I know this is an old thread. But I am still experiencing the same problem after one year. Why does cpanel insists on installing proftpd for me?

I also tried webhost manager to uncheck proftpd, tried rpm -e, tried remove from chkserv.d, tried chkconfig --del, but this ghost proftpd is coming back every night and running as user NOBODY!

6. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Proftpd is restarted automatically as part of the installation process. It will be automatically installed if it is not installed on your system. Disabling the ftp servers in the "Service Manager" and leaving it installed should keep it from ever running again. When a service is disable the following file is created:

/etc/<servicename>disable

In the case of proftpd/pureftpd, the following files will be created in /etc:

ftpddisable
    proftpddisable
    pureftpddisable
    pure-ftpddisable

These all correspond to the various releases of chkservd, and currently the most important one is /etc/ftpddisable.

HTH

7. jb605

jb605 Member

Thanks for your information. According to one of you technician, just disable it won't prevent it from being reinstalled. Here is the advice I got from technical support:

I am very surprised to see that cpanel is designed in such a way that I can only disable cpanel update to prevent proftpd from being re-installed, even if I tell cpanel to disable proftpd.

Can you clarify whether this is true or not?

Thanks.

8. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

There are many things which cpanel does which the admins would not want and it does not do what the admins would want...

Imagine a customer who does not need anything but mail accounts ... no hosting/no ftp... just mail accounts. is there a way this can be done? Put in as a feature request and i am sure it would never ever reach anywhere on the priority list. Forget about the Feature Request, even bugs fixing gets a cold shoulder response :/

Anup

9. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I previously stated:

Disabling the ftp servers in the "Service Manager" and leaving it installed should keep it from ever running again.

It's restarted as part of the re-installation process after you remove it. So if it is still there, then it won't be reinstalled and restarted.