The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upcp broke MailScanner?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by crwilliams, Aug 26, 2005.

1. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

I did a upcp yesterday, as advised for the pure-ftp issue. It took about 5 hours, and when it was done, the ftp issue was fixed but then MailScanner had failed. Service status says exim and cppop are up, in fact everything else is up, but MailScanner.

In the exim_mainlog, I can see messages in the dictionary attacks that haunt me daily are still being rejected, and I see messages trying to come and go, but then I see a flood of "Message is Frozen" too. So I know they haven't really been delivered.

I don't know if I should try to reinstall MailScanner (though that scares me), try to upgrade (okay, that scares me too) or if there is something else I should try first. I've hunted around but haven't seen anything that seems to apply to this situation.

Thanks for any help, tips or advice!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you used my installer, do:

/scripts/buildeximconf
    /scripts/mailscannerupdate
    service exim restart
    /usr/mscpanel/mscheck.pl

3. crwilliams

Service Status listed it as up briefly after doing this, but then a few minutes later, I checked in ssh and it was listed as Failed again. I guess whatever the upcp did, it knocked MailScanner around pretty good. Nothing is coming through the maillog.

I restarted MailScanner, just to see, and said OK, but I could also see in top in another window that a MailScanner process started, but was defunct, and by that time the status listed as Failed again.

Gee, I shoulda let my users go without ftp!

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Service Status isn't the best indicator. Do a ps axf and see if MailScanner is running. If not, start it:

service MailScanner start

And then tail /var/log/maillog and look for errors.

5. crwilliams

Did a ps axf and it was definitely not running. In the maillog, it's looking pretty dead. Nothing is logged since just after the upcp finished. I did the service MailScanner start a couple different times and watched the maillog in another ssh window, and nothing else has come up at all. Just the last few things it logged before that upcp killed or maimed it.

I appreciate the help, though. I don't blame this a bit on MailScanner. I wouldn't give it up for anything, and somehow I'll get it back. Thanks again!

6. crwilliams

If you happen to see this, one more quick question...

If I uninstall and then reinstall, will I lose the interface in the WHM? I'd rather it not come to that, but I should know if that will happen if I do that.

Thank you!

7. crwilliams

Another thing, then I'll stop spamming this thread unless I have something useful to add...

Mail appears to be coming and going again through the server. I tried the

/scripts/buildeximconf
    /scripts/mailscannerupdate
    service exim restart
    /usr/mscpanel/mscheck.pl

series of tasks a couple times, watching maillog in the background and sending off a test message all the while. Suddenly, the test messages started coming in to my mailbox.

However, the maillog itself is still not having anything else go through, at all. The last things registered in it are the few things that came through right before the upcp that wreaked havoc.

The exim_mainlog is showing all the messages come and go, and has been steadily ridding me of the dictionary attack spams. But the maillog is still looking dead as the proverbial doornail. And MailScanner still does not appear to be running. I'm only seeing a very occasional defunct MailScanner process go through top. But at least now I don't have to rush into anything with the MailScanner installation. Users can get mail while I take a minute to breathe and figure it all out.

Thanks again for your help. You've been a lifesaver, with the masses nipping at my heels for mail.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

For the /var/log/maillog file run:

service syslog restart

If that doesn't fix it (it should) run:

/scripts/fixrelayd

9. crwilliams

It's Alive!!!

That got the maillog going again, sure enough! Thank you so much!

specifically, the service syslog restart did it.

And that actually got MailScanner to stop failing, too! I have no idea how MailScanner running could be dependent on syslog, but it was.

I have a mail folder full of MailScanner failure alerts from System Monitor, from all day long, every 8-9 minutes, and they stopped the minute I did the service syslog restart. And not only that, but all the messages that were delayed during the time mail was completely down have suddenly come flooding in. I can't tell you what a joy it is to watch all those MailScanner processes flash past on the maillog.

This is actually the second time in a month you've pulled me and this server out of the fire, and I can't thank you enough.

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm glad it's working for you again :)

11. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Might want to consider donating to Jonathan's ongoing effort to provide excellent free scripts? ;)
    http://www.configserver.com/free/mailscanner.html

12. crwilliams

Yeah, I paid for the package the first time he saved my clueless behind. It was worth every penny and then some. I don't host for profit, but when I can afford it, I'll likely be buying the package for my other two servers. A service and package as excellent as this one that's also provided for free deserves financial support.