UPCP Cron Email Not Forwarding?

CCSupport

Dec 14, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello all,

We have a very weird issue!

We have all root emails being forwarded to an external email address ('Edit System Mail Preferences' all have the external email address set), however, even though we receive emails being forwarded there is one that does not...it simply goes to the local [email protected] address....which obviously fails delivery.

Here's the failed email header:

Headers spool file
1YQ3Tm-0001Nx-21-H
root 0 0
<[email protected]>
1424738162 0
-ident root
-received_protocol local
-body_linecount 1578
-max_received_linelength 406
-allow_unqualified_recipient
-allow_unqualified_sender
-frozen 1424790913
-manual_thaw
XX
[email protected]

230P Received: from root by whm1.domain.com with local (Exim 4.84)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1YQ3Tm-0001Nx-21
for [email protected]; Tue, 24 Feb 2015 00:42:38 +0000
025* From: root (Cron Daemon)
057F From: [email protected] (Cron Daemon)
009* To: root
041T To: [email protected]
069 Subject: Cron <[email protected]> /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/upcp --cron
040 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
031 Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
031 X-Cron-Env: <LANG=en_US.UTF-8>
028 X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
025 X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/root>
033 X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
027 X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=root>
024 X-Cron-Env: <USER=root>
064I Message-Id: <[email protected]>
038 Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 00:36:38 +0000
Anyone seen this? :confused:

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I think the easy answer might be to try changing the email address that root email is forwarded to. Your email logs should show you more clues than the header of the email might.

Are you forwarding to a free email service like gmail for example? You probably shouldn't be.

CCSupport

Dec 14, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the reply.

Forwarding to our own dedicated email server. We have full control over the server....the email is not getting there as the sub-domain stated is only the sub-domain for the WHM server.

This particular WHM server does not deal with mail, only web. All other root emails are forwarded correctly to the external mailbox. It's just the Cron job as outlined above.

We have a good few WHM servers setup in near the same manner and all emails are forwarded normally. However, for some reason the nightly WHM UPCP Cron job on this particular server is still going to local [email protected]

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
he email is not getting there as the sub-domain stated is only the sub-domain for the WHM server.
That shouldn't be a subdomain, it should be the hostname.

Have you checked your servers email logs to look for more clues as to why its not going out?

Please feel free to open a ticket to cPanel Technical Support. Those guys can fix anything cPanel related. :)

CCSupport

Dec 14, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The sub-domain is the hostname.

I'll check the email logs, however I think this is to do with configuration before it gets to the email as the address is incorrect.... If it was specifically email related it would be at least trying to email to the correct address.

I'll take another look at the mail queue tomorrow morning and if it's still trying the wrong address I'll open that ticket.

Cheers

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
You should be able to search for the email right now if you want.
Home » Email » Mail Delivery Reports

Simply click, Run Report there. Then, down below click Advanced Search to expand some tools, untick "Show Deliveries" "In Progress" and "Show Deferrals" to remove the noise and make finding these emails to you, easier.

Whats the details say there?

CCSupport

Dec 14, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks.

Had a look and it seems as though because the main domain which is part of the hostname isn't hosted on that WHM instance it is classing it as a local delivery....but weirdly we have other servers setup using WHM with a different sub-domain as the hostname and they are fine.

So, for instance, we have cloudwhm2.domain1.com as a hostname for one WHM VPS and all emails route to [email protected] they are all work. However, this particular WHM VPS which we are having this issue with is set up with similar config (whm1.domain.com as hostname and emails forwarding to [email protected]) but doesn't work for the UPCP cron job email.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I would only point to the blurb posted here:

Home » Networking Setup » Change Hostname

Instructions
It is important to choose a hostname that you will not be using for any account. You should choose something that will be socially acceptable, as it will appear in all mail headers. Your hostname must be a FQDN. In English, a hostname should consist of a name and a domain name. All valid hostnames should have 2 dots in them. Hostnames should never begin with “www”. Hostnames should also not begin with a digit, nor end with a hyphen (“-”).
I use the hostname's domain.com for an actual cPanel account myself, always have. But I don't use the hostname.domain.com as an actual subdomain. Could that be causing this issue? maybe.

CCSupport

Dec 14, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Interesting. Going by the quote, we have got it right. It is a FQDN. It's also not used by anything else. However, we do add the hostname (whm1.domain.com) to our DNS with the main server IP address. I really can't see that being the issue...all other servers we have are FQDN with a DNS entry. It just wouldn't make sense not to add the entry...otherwise how would we add an SSL for whm1.domain.com if there was no DNS entry....something weird here.