The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upcp hangs on updating courier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    Running Freebsd 6.2 and WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.3-C21703 when I run "upgrade to latest version" for CURRENT it rolls
    through a bunch of normal looking checks and after "Updating Bandmin" and then "..Done" the little pop-up box
    with the rolling progress bar shows "Updating Courier".

    However nothing seems to be happening. If I go to the system console I see the:

    Cpanel Update (upcp) - Master (perl 5.8.8)
    Cpanel Update (upcp) - Slave (perl 5.8.8)

    running and then a "<DEFUNCT>" zombie task below, which a "ps axj" shows belongs to one of the above update tasks.

    Nothing else happens after that, no matter how long I leave it running. The defunct process doesnt go away and nothing else starts.

    If I kill the above everything seems ok but if I check service status many items are gone and now just see :

    exim up
    Server Load 0.00 (1 cpu)
    Memory Used 32.27 %
    Swap 0.00 %
    Disk /dev/ad2s1d (/backup) 81 %
    Disk /dev/ad0s1d (/tmp) 1 %
    Disk /dev/ad0s1e (/var) 12 %
    Disk /dev/ad0s1f (/usr) 48 %
    Disk /dev/ad0s1g (/home) 37 %
    Disk /dev/ad0s1a (/) 3 %


    The other regular processes, like apache, exim, ftp, etc are running but not showing up in "service status".

    Anyone else seeing this today ?
     
    #1 nyjimbo, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    Checking the console I see this come up each time I try to re-run upcp from whm:

    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: LOG5[24834:134656000]: Received signal 15; terminating
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx last message repeated 5735 times
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx last message repeated 88 times
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx last message repeated 44 times
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx last message repeated 571 times
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx stunnel: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 4 23:18:07 xxxxxxx last message repeated 30 times
    Apr 4 23:18:08 xxxxxxx stunnel: LOG5[31057:134656000]: stunnel 4.22 on i386-unknown-freebsd6.3 with OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct

    2004
    Apr 4 23:18:08 xxxxxxx stunnel: LOG5[31057:134656000]: Threading:PTHREAD SSL:ENGINE Sockets:POLL,IPv6 Auth:LIBWRAP
    Apr 4 23:18:08 xxxxxxx stunnel: LOG5[31057:134656000]: 5417 clients allowed

    It appears the something in the upcp process is cycling the stunnel process or something. What gets me is that if you look the whole process takes about two seconds yet there are thousands of attempts by something in the system to access it. Nothing weird is running so I dont know what this could be.

    Also I see it says "Freebsd 6.3" near the bottom of the above output which is weird as we are running Freebsd 6.2 , even WHM at the top right says "FREEBSD 6.2-RELEASE i386 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0"

    Any ideas ?
     
    #2 nyjimbo, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. cPanelKenneth

    cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2006
    Messages:
    4,461
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    38
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest opening a ticket. Both behaviors sound wrong.
     
  4. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    Cpanel tech suggested doing a portupgrade, which we did and then the upcp ran ok. Still dont know what was causing the hang but the upgrade fixed it somewhere.
     
Loading...

Share This Page