The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update breaks itself and /bin files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mykul31217, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Mykul31217

Mykul31217 Member

I have found that recently, when cpanel updates itself, it has been breaking a suite of files in the /bin dir as well. Once the update begins, it changes files such as hostname, ping, netstat, mktemp and several others. I am wondering if anyone else has been having similar problems and if so, how did you fix them.

I have replaced the above programs from a second install (no cpanel install) and the problems that I have found go away.

Problems that I have noticed include:

/usr/sbin/makewhatis: Can't create temp file, exiting
    The hostname () resolves to . It should resolve to

My first thought was that makewhatis was causing the problems as it would modify the above files when ran, however, the file size on it was the same as on my test box and the test box doesn't display the same symptoms.

I am still digging around and should I find something, I will post my findings and/or fix.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What OS are you running? cPanel doesn't modify such files itself as such, it's likely to be OS updates from your OS vendor (either via yum or up2date). Makewhatis should have nothing at all to do with it, since it's just a lookup tool for man pages.

3. Mykul31217

Mykul31217 Member

os version

I am using centos with yum as the update management system.