The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update Contact Information - allow customer to use email with their own domain?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sneader, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When a customer tries to update their contact email address in cPanel, via the "Update Contact Info" icon, they are no longer allowed to use an email address that is hosted on the server.

For example, if we are hosting example.com and the customer's IT department is it@example.com, cPanel will NOT let the customer enter in that email address. They are forced to use some other domain. The error given is:

Please use an email address that is not at this domain

Some customers simply do not have any other email address other than what we host, and this is causing some confusion and frustration.

Is there a tweak setting somewhere to start allowing customers to use a locally hosted email address again?

Thanks!

- Scott

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't believe there is a setting to turn this off (not that I could find), but the files where the address is handled are at the following locations:

/home/username/.contactemail (where the entry is listed as mainemail@domain.com)
    /var/cpanel/users/username (where the entries are listed as CONTACTEMAIL=mainemail@domain.com and CONTACTEMAIL2=secondemail@domain.com)

You could always manually hard code the entries for anyone who wants to put them onto the same domain, but the reasoning to not allow the same domain is due to the disk space quota alerts. If you are hitting your quota, you won't get the email on that domain.

3. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Tristan. I realize that it is best if the customer uses an off-site email, but I do not think cPanel should make it a requirement. At the very least, we should be allowed to decide. The fact is that the customer DOES get the initial mailbox warnings at 80% (cPanel default) and again at 90% (cPanel default) and again at 98% (cPanel default). So, before the box gets to 100%, they'd receive 3 warnings.

So, I guess I need help to understand, again, what we are trying to accomplish by forcing users to use non-local email addresses?

UPDATE: I see you are referring to disk quota warnings, not mailbox quota warnings... but the same thing applies... disk quota warnings go out at 80% (cPanel default), 90% (cPanel default), and at 98% (cPanel default). So, the same thing applies... the customer would get 3 notifications before their disk quota is exhausted, even if their notification email address is a local account.

- Scott

#3 sneader, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The best location to lodge a request to change the behavior to allow a decision to be made by the administrator to turn on or off the option is the feature request forum:

Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM

5. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #5 sneader, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011