Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Update Contact Information option for Features List?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by aUserName, Nov 18, 2017.

1. aUserName

aUserName Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I create a new feature list in WHM 68 there is no option to enable/disable the "Update Contact Information" options.
    By default the new list have this option disabled which also prevents users from updating notification settings for their cPanel account.

Unfortunately this seems to mean I cannot use a feature list other than "default" unless I am willing to edit the feature list file manually, and I'm not sure that's the way it should be working..

I just paid for a VPS license, this installation is brand-new (hasn't been running for more than 4 days) and I would like to report this as a bug in the software.
    I'm pretty sure the Feature list manager UI should allow the root user to change any and all available options in any given feature list.

I've used WHM/cPanel (version 68) on a different host provider and the option is marked as "Legacy" there, but does actually display. So maybe something was marked wrongly internally that causes this? I am hopeful this feature is not being removed, it seems like a rather important feature to have.

Just in case anyone else searches this issue with new installs, the work around is to edit the feature list file found in
    Code:
    /var/cpanel/features/
    and change
    Code:
    updatecontact=0
    to
    Code:
    updatecontact=1
    I hope the feature manager UI gets some udpate love in the near future.

Thanks for your time!

2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

I just created a new feature list and see:

Contact Information Legacy
    and
    Update Notification Preferences

If I disable Contact Information I get no Contact Information interface, nor is there any alternative page that I can see for managing the Notifications.

With Contact Information ON and Update Notification Preferences OFF the interface shows exactly what one would expect

These 2 settings both need to be enabled for full functionality.

I fully agree the feature manager UI badly needs some love - there are many confusing, seemingly contradictory and not terribly intuitive options. Perhaps features that are interdependent should be grouped or 'nested' (tree format) with the feature that controls the overall display as the root for each group.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 rpvw, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. aUserName

aUserName Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, you misunderstand me.
    The description of the settings and their expected function, spot on. But the issue here is that the UI doesn't show the option at all. You CANNOT change this option (on a brand-new installation) without locating and editing a text file.

Again. The problem is specifically that brand-new installations of WHM/cPanel DO NOT have the "Contact Information Legacy" option available in the Feature List UI of WHM.

The option is clearly required for internal code to to figure out if a cpanel account should get access or not, but the code that is responsible for displaying "Contact Information Legacy" in the Feature List UI does not display this option regardless of its state (on or off) within the WHM Feature List UI.

This, imho, is most certainly a bug that needs to be fixed. Or at least I didn't purchase a $200 software license expecting to spend two hours hunting for a config file and options to edit.

The only way I know to replicate and test this is to install a brand-new (version 68) trial of cpanel, then upgrade it to a VPS license. Visit the feature manager and create a new feature list, create a new package for this list as well. Add an account using the new package/feature list and then log into that account and look for the contact info/notification settings page. The page will not be available until you manually edit the new feature list file to change the option mentioned in the original post, and likely will need to modify the account or its package to force the change to take effect.

4. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In that case, I think you should open a bug report using the Defects link

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 rpvw, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We've got this on our list for resolution. Keep your eyes on our release notes for mention of CPANEL-13337 as it's the official defect case number for it!

6. coolcom

coolcom Member

Hi all,

Has there been any action regarding 13337 yet? We have one newer server that does not provide access to set the various Notifications in Contact Management (for clients, not WHM), and I'd like to be able to get to that.

I did try the manual method (edit the feature list in /var/cpanel/features/), but I am still not seeing the change when I go to the User Preferences in a cPanel. Do you have to reboot the server first to make the change effective?

One other suggestion... come up with an alternative name for one or the other? In searching for info on this, it became somewhat difficult discering bewtween WHM>Server Contact>Contact Manager, and cPanel>Packages>Feature Manager>Contact Information (and Update Notification Preferences).

Thanks

7. cPanelAdamF

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    We are indeed moving on CPANEL-1337.

The current plan is to check that AT LEAST ONE of the two available permissions (the older 'updatecontact' legacy feature entry, and the new 'updatenotificationprefs' feature entry) is available for the current user in order to show the interfaces. That should have you covered both for accounts that have the legacy feature and the new one without having to perform migrations or manual edits.

Re the names of features - truth. This double-up of the word "contact" has always bugged me too. I'll have a few convos about getting some disambiguation here.

8. coolcom

coolcom Member

Garsh {slap forehead}... I did have Update Notifications disabled on that server after all... my bad. So that issue solved then as I can now make settings as required.

"disambiguation"... luv it :) Convo away... heh.

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

To update, the resolution associated with CPANEL-13337 is included in cPanel version 70.0.13:

Fixed case CPANEL-13337: Paper Lantern: Allow Contact Information to use updatenotificationprefs feature.

Thank you.

10. cPanelAdamF

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To expand on @cPanelMichael post a little bit, the resolution we went with is akin to have the Simple Zone Editor and Advanced Zone Editors (may they rest in peace. Long live the new combined Zone Editor) features worked.

To gain access to the page...and to only see the top half (contact form) of the page...accounts must have the "Contact Information" feature enabled.

To gain access to the whole page...contact form AND notification preference checkboxes...accounts must have the "Update Notification Preferences" feature enabled. Having both "contact information" AND "update notification preferences" acts the same as if they had only "update notification preferences" enabled.

Additionally, we made sure that the "contact information" feature is no longer marked as legacy and is now always manageable from the WHM » Home » Packages » Feature Manager.

There are no migrations or account modifications made during the update to >= 70.0.13. This was just a logic change in our access control system.

cPanelMichael likes this.