Echelon17

May 21, 2006
Hi guys,

I've taken over management for a company and am (fairly) new to Cpanel. We just discovered the warning message about our apache version being insecure, and I just successfully updated it without any problems. No big deal there.

Do Cpanel notify customers via e-mail on what updates they've released?

My concern is that we only have the potentially inaccurate panel to check for version differences, which is inpractical. I can't constantly sit there and check for new updates, so some sort of notification would be great.

Any ideas?

HostDime

PartnerNOC
Mar 15, 2003
Orlando, Florida
We have this same question. Suddenly today all of our servers have this message and we had no idea it was going to happen beforehand, now our users (and ourselves) are scrambling.

EDIT: I've just looked over the cPanel site as carefully as possible.. I do not see any documentation pointing to a notification mailing list.

-Kayla

Last edited:

Echelon17

May 21, 2006
HostDime said:
We have this same question. Suddenly today all of our servers have this message and we had no idea it was going to happen beforehand, now our users (and ourselves) are scrambling.

EDIT: I've just looked over the cPanel site as carefully as possibe.. I do not see any documentation pointing to a notification mailing list.

-Kayla
Exactly, last thing I want is a call at 2am from users announcing that they're seeing a big red "YOU ARE RUNNING AN INSECURE VERSION" message at the top of the screen - with no information provided by Cpanel.

Anyone from Cpanel care to respond?

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
They simply updated WHM so that if you run an old frontpage version or if you run php-4.4.1 or less then it will pop up with that error. If you really wanted to block your server from making a connection to web.cpanel.net. If you do this it will end up timing out which takes awhile...but no error ;)

As far as the updates, I am not sure if there is an official method to notifications but generally the forums/irc (both unofficial methods) are best.

Once cPanel fixes easyapache it will of course be best to just upgrade which is normally a very simple process.