The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update Notifications

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secmas, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Secmas

Secmas Well-Known Member

Nick, I don't want to sound rude, but there are a lot of unexpected behaviors in this upgrade. I have received emails from CPanel telling us about errors in FTP, in Email, in the upgrade in itself, just to mention a few. Do we need to expect more unexpected behaviors?

I have a RELEASE version, so all this errors were expected to be on the EDGE or in the CURRENT builds, so why is this happening to the RELEASE build?

I will open a ticket so CPanel can have a look on this.

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please forward me a copy of the email you recieved to nick@cpanel.net.

3. Secmas

Secmas Well-Known Member

The ones that CPanel sent us? ok, they are on your way.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thank you for sending the email over. I see what you email you are referring to now. This email was only an advisory. If you have not manually altered the permissions on /bin/tar there is nothing to be concerned about. We sent out this email to warn people who have manually modified the permissions as a precaution. We do not want anyone to end up in a situation where their backups where missing the tar archives of the home directory.

For the suspension issue, please post the ticket # so I may take a look. We will be happy investigate the issue.

5. Secmas

Secmas Well-Known Member

Thank you Nick, the ID #351337.

Regarding the emails, I think that the advisory emails came to late, after the updgrade was done. Why the email about MySQL didn't arrive before the upgrade? In my case, thanks God, I had set the root password but if someone didn't do it, the database could be damaged and it will be very annoying for the customer as well for Cpanel to fix the damage.

Also the email telling us to turn off any software that could stop the upgrade, I think that this kind of messages were more appreciated before the upgrade not after. Any way it is just my 2 cents.

6. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

I was waken up in the middle of the night when 11.24 spread to the RELEASE tree. Hopefully I did not experience any adverse events but I second that... The blog announcement was posted 12 hours after 11.24 was released in the RELEASE tree and the changelog (through RSS) was 48 hours behind... (BTW R-32443 & R-32470 were not described nor announced anywhere!)

Why not announcing these important releases beforehand? Why make it a surprise for thousands of users/sysadmin? Many had requested a more specific timetable in order to turn off the automatic update and schedule/perform this upgrade in a more timely manner and/or in a controlled environment.

Perhaps the cPanel team should review how they communicate such crucial information to this community.

Sebby

#6 sebby, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. sirotex

sirotex Well-Known Member

OR maybe instead of having automatic updates on you TURN THEM OFF. If you really need to be breast fed by cPanel then you should give up. Honestly the amount of huge companys on this forum that know nothing about unix/linux is scary.

8. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

Do you work for Redlight Hosting ? If so you are a GREAT face to potential customers. 2 thumbs up for calling everyone that knows less about a single topic than you, idiots.

9. Secmas

Secmas Well-Known Member

I really don't want to argue with someone that thinks that 'knows it all', but if you can read, go to your WHM and read what a RELEASE build is:
    So, an automatic update in RELEASE, means that you will have always the best of WHM, at least that is what I think of.

So, if you have automatic updates turned off could it be because you don't trust on what you use?

Honestly, I hope the ammount of people that doesn't trust in CPANEL is not as huge as the people that doesn't know nothing about unix/linux.

10. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Sirotex, there is no need to get emotional about this as I was barely making a simple suggestion (i.e. quick heads up from cPanel a few hours before the release of a huge upgrade into a production environment).

I invite you to consider this issue from a business point of view as to the cost involved by an unannounced/surprise upgrade:
    1. Support staff at cPanel answering the support tickets for 2 days after the release = $$$
    2. Datacenter sysadmins answering a load of tickets from their dedicated client base= $$$
    3. Small business owners that, according to you, “knows nothing about linux”, trying to keep their system secure and stable for a production environment = $$$

Whereas:
    1. cPanel doing a quick announcement 24-48 hours before the release to the R tree = 0$
    Regarding your most enlightened comment about this community’s incapacity to perform kernel upgrades blindfolded, it was my understanding that most linux gurus were having too much fun with vi for considering any GUI (!?).

As a final comment, may I remind you that WHM is no GNU/GPL product. Therefore, as business owners and providers of a premium for-profit product line, cPanel obligations with regard to the stability of the product and upgrades and liability thereof are stronger than for any other popular open source projects.

Cheers,

Sebby

P.S. I'd prefer to be bottle-fed ;)

#10 sebby, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  11. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member