Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Update resetting permissions on /tmp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apc1, Nov 27, 2005.

1. apc1

apc1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is really strange. For several weeks now every time there was an automatic cPanel update it immediately resets the permissions on /tmp, which in turn causes hundreds of Wordpress databases among other things to stop working.

I have to manually rest the permissions on /tmp to sort everything out.

I know it is the update causing this because now I have it set to manual update, and every time I run it the manual update the permissions change on /tmp.

This issue might be more widespread, but unless you have applications that need access to /tmp with the right permissions, e.g. Wordpress, you might not notice it.

Has anyone else seen this and what can be done about it?

Thanks.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

What permissions do you need for /tmp and what permissions do you find on /tmp after updates?

On my system /tmp has permissions of 0777 and this never seems to change. /tmp is mounted as a separate partition with noexec and nosuid. This is under CentOS 3.6.

How does you system differ? Since I don't have problems and you do, if any differences are ironed out the problem may cease to occur.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

/tmp should always be 1777 otherwise you're opening yourself up to exploits amongst other problems.

IIRC, the last time I saw such an issue, someone had set their backups to go to /tmp which was being chmod'd inappropriatly afterwards, so do check that.

If that isn't the issue, you could always try creating a file called /scripts/postupcp and add the following to it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    and then chmod +x /scripts/postupcp

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...