The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update resetting permissions on /tmp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apc1, Nov 27, 2005.

1. apc1

apc1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is really strange. For several weeks now every time there was an automatic cPanel update it immediately resets the permissions on /tmp, which in turn causes hundreds of Wordpress databases among other things to stop working.

I have to manually rest the permissions on /tmp to sort everything out.

I know it is the update causing this because now I have it set to manual update, and every time I run it the manual update the permissions change on /tmp.

This issue might be more widespread, but unless you have applications that need access to /tmp with the right permissions, e.g. Wordpress, you might not notice it.

Has anyone else seen this and what can be done about it?

Thanks.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

What permissions do you need for /tmp and what permissions do you find on /tmp after updates?

On my system /tmp has permissions of 0777 and this never seems to change. /tmp is mounted as a separate partition with noexec and nosuid. This is under CentOS 3.6.

How does you system differ? Since I don't have problems and you do, if any differences are ironed out the problem may cease to occur.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

/tmp should always be 1777 otherwise you're opening yourself up to exploits amongst other problems.

IIRC, the last time I saw such an issue, someone had set their backups to go to /tmp which was being chmod'd inappropriatly afterwards, so do check that.

If that isn't the issue, you could always try creating a file called /scripts/postupcp and add the following to it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    and then chmod +x /scripts/postupcp