The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update RoundCube to the latest version, system wide

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by razrdj, Nov 16, 2015.

1. razrdj

razrdj Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel currently delivers RoundCube 1.0.6, i want to update RoundCube to the latest version (1.1.3 as we speak).

Is it possible to update RoundCube to 1.1.3 system wide? So it is accessible through everydomain.com/webmail?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There's an open feature request for this at:

Update Roundcube to New stable version

Note the current workaround is to manually install a new version of Roundcube on individual accounts (accessed separately).

Thank you.

3. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm sorry if this is considered hijacking, but I was going to create a similar thread and found this. I want to update to the latest version as well, but had some questions as to how to do it. I can create my own thread if it's inappropriate for me to ask in this thread.

My understanding is I just download the latest version of Roundcube, rename it to something like roundcube-local.tar.gz and put it in the /var/cpanel/roundcube directory. Then I just need to call the appropriate script, something like /scripts/upcp or even /usr/local/cpanel/bin/update-roundcube. From what I've read, /scripts/upcp will eventually call /usr/local/cpanel/bin/update-roundcube and that script will look for the roundcube-local.tar.gz file and use that instead.

The part where I'm confused deals with the configuration files though. I've been looking at /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/config.inc.php and see a bunch of stuff that seems to be cPanel specific. Connecting to databases on certain ports, etc. Would the upcp or update-roundcube update the new config file for the new version of Roundcube with the old config information or maybe it'll modify the config file to populate it with the correct values....or do I have to manually change the config file to match?

If I have to manually edit the config file, are there other config files that I'll have to play around with as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the reply cPanelMichael. I've found that documentation already. That's how I knew about the roundcube-local.tar.gz file and the /scripts/upcp or the /usr/local/cpanel/bin/update-roundcube script files. That article doesn't answer my original question though, unfortunately.

I wanted to know if I use the latest version of roundcube, and I follow those directions that you linked me too, is it gonna wipe out the roundcube config.inc.php that seems to have cPanel specific stuff in it? Thanks

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need to utilize the default configuration file that comes with the version of Roundcube you choose to install. Otherwise, it's likely the configuration file offered with the version installed by default with cPanel isn't compatible. You should follow the section titled "Prevent Changes to Roundcube Configuration Files" at:

How to Customize Roundcube Webmail - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Spork Schivago likes this.
  6. Spork Schivago

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Great, thank you very much for your help!!! Much appreciated!!!