The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates - Apache, Suhosin, mod_security, suPHP

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by GoWilkes, Aug 28, 2011.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you guys think of any reason to NOT update Apache from 2.0.63 to 2.2, and include Suhosin and mod_security with the recompile?

Also, is there still a speed issue with using suPHP? I'm on a pretty loaded server (one account, but high traffic; mostly PHP), so I don't want to add any new speed problems. Are there any other reasons to not use suPHP?

TIA,

Jason

2. alphawolf50

alphawolf50 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't think of any reason not to go to Apache 2.2. Definitely include suhosin and ModSecurity.

I can't comment about the speed, but since you only have one account on the server it removes one of the reasons some people use suPHP. Only other reason not to use suPHP is that opcode caches (eaccelerator/APC/etc) don't work with it. Apache 2.2 + mpm_worker + mod_fcgid + suEXEC gives very nice performance and still allows opcode caching, but it takes quite a bit more configuration.

3. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I've been trying to upgrade to Apache 2.2 for the last hour, but EasyApache in WHM is still hanging on "Updating Apache Configuration". My site is throwing errors on Perl scripts, too, so... this sucks.

Thanks for the note that suPHP doesn't work with eAccelerator. That would be a pretty big flaw for me! LOL I'll leave it be, then.

4. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    FYI...

After about 2 hours of waiting, it looks like EasyApache just hung. I was able to get out of the window by clicking on something else, but then none of my Perl scripts were working. The error message simply said "weird data". Weird, right?

I went back and rebuilt with v. 2.2, and left off Suhosin and mod_security. Now, everything seems to be working... I think.

That was about 3 hours of work just to get the updated Apache! LOL I guess I'll try to recompile tomorrow night with mod_security to see how that flies.

5. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Quick update, it looks like Suhosin and PHP::Session are NOT compatible. I use this module on all of my Perl scripts so that they can use session variables set by PHP, and after loading Suhosin, all of my scripts were broken.

6. ikillbill

ikillbill Well-Known Member