The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating Apache/php with Suse 10.3

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Simon-G, May 16, 2008.

1. Simon-G

Simon-G Member

Updating Apache/php with Suse 10.2

Hi

Recently tried to update Apache and PHP to the newest version but it failed. This later turned out to be because the server was running SuSE 10.3 which apparently is not fully supported. The error came back from the "checkpkgs" command with a failure in a given command which does not understand an option passed to it: "-y" (based upon the error message coming back)

Code:
    !! End: Silent httpupdate request !!

Checking that all packages are present and up to date.
    ERROR: Argument '-y' is invalid
    !! Could not ensure pkglist 'zlib1-devel, expat-devel, automake19, gettext, libstdc++.x86_64, libpng-devel, libopenssl0-dev, expat, openssl, gcc-c++, glibc-devel, libpng-dev, zlib-devel, zlib, bison, autoconf261, libidn-devel, gmake, libidn, libXpm, libjpeg-devel, openssl-devel, automake, coreutils, libtool-libltdl-devel, libopenssl0, openssl-dev, libtool, patch, libz-devel, libltdl3-devel, libltdl, libjpeg-dev, libopenssl0.9.7-static-devel, pam-dev, libtool-ltdl-devel, libopenssl0.9.7-devel, libltdl-devel, fileutils, libXpm-devel, sed, libXpm-dev, lsof, krb5-dev, flex, glibc-dev, expat-dev, krb5-devel, libstdc++-devel.x64_64, make, libstdc++-dev.x86_64, xorg-x11-devel, libtool-ltdl, libssl-dev, libstdc++-devel.x86_64, gd, pam-devel, cpp, xorg-x11-dev, gcc, libopenssl0-devel, ssl-dev, lex, autoconf' !!
    I can't believe this is the only server running this version of SuSE, so am asking any fellow SuSE people out there running Cpanel/WHM who have been able to update to Apache 2 and the latest PHP version how they got around this? Did you have to build/install RPM's separately?

Thanks

#1 Simon-G, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. Install yum (e.g. yast2 -i yum)
    2. touch /var/cpanel/useyum
    3. rm /var/cpanel/useapt (that file name might be incorrect. Look for one that has apt in it's name)

After doing the above, ensure yum works properly (try installing something), then re-run /scripts/easyapache

3. Simon-G

Simon-G Member

Thanks for the reply.
    However, looking at /var/cpanel we do not have a file that looks like that at all - or a file that has apt in it's filename. The only files that start with "use" are:

Code:
    whm:/var/cpanel # ll use*
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 Sep 13  2007 use_old_easyapache
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 Jun 20  2007 useclusteringdns
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 May 10 01:06 usecpphp
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   96 Jul  2  2007 useripmigratemap
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 Jun 25  2007 userug
    as well as some directories (userdata, userhomes, users, users.cache) Doing a
    Code:
    ls *apt*
    comes back with no files.

Is there something in our config that has been missed?, or is it one of the above files (userug for eg)?

On a side note, having had a bit of a donut moment, we are running SuSE 10.2, not 10.3 so that might make a difference :eek:

4. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Remove the 'userug' file instead of the 'useapt' as I suggested.

5. Simon-G

Simon-G Member

I have now installed 'yum' and added the 'useyum' and removed the 'userug' files. I tested yum by installing lynx and it worked ok.

We are still unable to do the Apache/PHP update though. It still fails at the 'ensure packages' part so I'm guessing there is something still not right with the 'yum' setup - the problem probably being I am unfamiliar with 'yum'. The error is different now though:

Code:
    !! Creating backup of working apache in '/usr/local/apache.backup'. !!
    !! Symlink encountered (/usr/local/apache/etc), preserving target (conf)... !!
    !! Backup of working apache complete. !!
    Checking that all tarballs are present and up to date.
    Checking that all packages are present and up to date.
    Fetching http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/osdata/suse.pm (0)....@74.200.65.162......connected......receiving...100%......Done
    Setting up Install Process
    Setting up repositories
    Reading repository metadata in from local files
    Excluding Packages in global exclude list
    Finished
    Parsing package install arguments
    No Match for argument: automake19
    No Match for argument: libstdc++.x86_64
    No Match for argument: libpng-dev
    No Match for argument: autoconf261
    No Match for argument: libXpm
    No Match for argument: libltdl3-devel
    No Match for argument: libopenssl0.9.7-static-devel
    No Match for argument: libtool-ltdl-devel
    No Match for argument: libXpm-devel
    No Match for argument: libXpm-dev
    No Match for argument: krb5-dev
    No Match for argument: glibc-dev
    No Match for argument: expat-dev
    No Match for argument: libstdc++-devel.x64_64
    No Match for argument: libtool-ltdl
    No Match for argument: libssl-dev
    No Match for argument: libopenssl0-devel
    No Match for argument: zlib1-devel
    No Match for argument: expat-devel
    No Match for argument: libopenssl0-dev
    No Match for argument: libtool-libltdl-devel
    No Match for argument: openssl-dev
    No Match for argument: libopenssl0
    No Match for argument: libz-devel
    No Match for argument: libjpeg-dev
    No Match for argument: pam-dev
    No Match for argument: libltdl-devel
    No Match for argument: libopenssl0.9.7-devel
    No Match for argument: libX11-devel
    No Match for argument: libstdc++-dev.x86_64
    No Match for argument: xorg-x11-dev
    No Match for argument: ssl-dev
    No Match for argument: lex
    It goes on to say it is downloading header packs for various programs (not necessarily mentioned above). It goes on to do a lot of dependency checks followed by dependency failures (Missing Dependency)

Small extract:
    Code:
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package exim
    Error: Missing Dependency: libz.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package gutenprint
    Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package pure-ftpd
    Error: Missing Dependency: libz.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package freetype2
    Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package neon
    Error: Missing Dependency: libz.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package libzypp-zmd-backend
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package pure-ftpd
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package w3m
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package bind-libs
    Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package lynx
    Error: Missing Dependency: libz.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package openmotif-libs
    Error: Missing Dependency: libz.so.1()(64bit) is needed by package net-snmp
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package cups-client
    Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.8()(64bit) is needed by package libzypp-zmd-backend
    There appears to be a dependency hell going on which yum is unable to deal with - unless, of course, I have missed something from the configuration of yum.

Massive amounts of appreciation and thanks would go to anybody out there with SuSE 10.2 and a successful yum configuration to get this update done.

I have the full log available if it is needed.

Thanks in advance for any further advice.

6. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Use zypper to ensure your system is fully updated (yum on SuSE isn't the greatest for this). Yast2 of course will also work for ensuring your system is fully up-to-date.

The message about 'No match found for package-foo' isn't necessarily problematic as packages sometimes have different names in different distros. Hence cPanel tends to submit several variations of the package name to the package management system.

7. Simon-G

Simon-G Member

Finally had a chance to update the base system and have another go at updating this during a quiet moment.

We have got the same problem as before. I have attached a zipped version of the complete log this time in case there's something relevant in there that I overlooked before. The only odd thing is it seems to want to update a couple of packages (such as vim and vim-base) which shows broken dependencies, yet running either zypper or Yast does not show any updates required. I suppose if this is coming back to the update script with a failure status because of this, then the update script interprets it as a "I should not continue" even if these specific things are not directly relevant to the Apache/PHP update (a couple of assumptions made here ;) )

Thanks again for the help and ideas so far.

Attached Files: