The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Souleh, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Souleh

Souleh Registered

Hi, when I update cpanel, all processes for all users are killed on the machine.

Is this normal? And is it nessicary for the updating of cpanel?

Is there anyway I can stop it?

Thanks.

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

You mean all active sessions of people logged into their particular control panels are wacked? That's normal. The software updates itself, and then the entire daemon (cpaneld) has to restart for the changes to take effect... (including webhostmanager's daemon and the rest of the luscious services)

3. Souleh

Souleh Registered

no, the processes they are running, there are a few poeple running ircds and stuff on the same machine, the processes die when we run cpanel update, and they are needed to be manually restarted.

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

I think CPanel has a built in mechanism to nuke IRC-type daemons, as it considers them a security threat by default.
    As far as other services killed during a cpanel update, that is unlikely- I think the core cpanel servers are bounced, and probably proftpd/httpd/exim/cppop as well, but as far as things not attached to that, it would probably be related to cpanel's search 'n destroy mechanism for IRC daemons of any kind.

This should be configurable though, check out the options for handling processes in the left frame of your WHM

5. Souleh

Souleh Registered

The only thing i can see is the background killer, which all programs are checked. So this shouldnt kill anything right?

It definately happens when a update is done. Where can i change this?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.