Updating Custom Nameservers with MX Records

ctrlaltdel21

Jan 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Our client has a domain with custom nameservers pointing to another hosting company that's not us. We have migrated the site to our cPanel.

The client uses RackSpace mail. I retrieved the MX records from MXToolbox and added them to our client's cPanel on our server. I also went into WHM and updated the nameservers for this cPanel account to our name servers. The site is ready to be pointed to the cPanel on our server.

When I go into their domain registrar and update the custom nameservers to our nameservers, will there by any downtime with the website and the email? I just updated all the records above about an hour ago.....should I wait 24 hours to update the custom nameservers at the Domain Registrar?

Thank you.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! If things are currently working as is, and the new records on your cPanel machine are also setup correctly, I wouldn't expect there to be any propagation time, as both machines will work no matter which nameserver record a user gets.

ctrlaltdel21

Jan 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! If things are currently working as is, and the new records on your cPanel machine are also setup correctly, I wouldn't expect there to be any propagation time, as both machines will work no matter which nameserver record a user gets.
I thought that would be the case, but I wanted some reassurance. Thank you - it worked!