Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Updating MySQL to MariaDB questions

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by martin MHC, Aug 10, 2018.

1. martin MHC

martin MHC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am on WHM 74. I hadn't realised MySQL 5.6 has reached End of Life back in March 2018 (aside: WHM still states it's "near" end of life!)

I am looking at updating and reading the appropriate documentation:

MySQL or MariaDB Upgrade - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

And I find a statement with WARNING saying:

"You must now recompile any software on your system that depended on the old version of MySQL or MariaDB so that it is compatible with the new version."

Now; I use MySQL across the server websites and I am unaware of anything that directly uses the system except possibly - PHPMyAdmin .

1) Can Cpanel please give an indication of what sort of software would "depend" on the database driver version, as warned.

2) Can Cpanel please clarify for me if a) I'm correct in thinking PHPMyAdmin would need to be recompiled b) If so; is this done automatically by the WHM process and c) if not; how do I do this myself?

( PHPMyAdmin is the version supplied in WHM by default )

Thanks.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @martin MHC

Usually this will be any Ruby Gems or similar items but you should be notified if there is anything that needs this. In most cases though you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Any changes that may be necessary for PHPMyAdmin will be done automatically when updating and this isn't something you'd need to do yourself.

If you're concerned about the upgrade though please open a ticket using the link in my signature. We'll assist along the way. Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. martin MHC

martin MHC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @cPanelLauren thanks for the feedback; it confirms what I expected (after consideration I figured manually updating PHPMyAdmin was probably not needed). I hope this thread is of reference to others.

I figure the Gems etc. that need updating are usually things that the server Admin will be aware need to be recompiled.

I have updated to MySQL 5.7 and everything appears to be running smoothly, thanks.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @martin MHC

Exactly, in the event you do have something that needs to be recompiled in most cases the admin would be aware of that.

I'm really happy to hear that! I'm glad the upgrade went smoothly for you as well.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...