The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lifehost, Jan 21, 2006.

1. lifehost

lifehost Member

Hi, My server is currently running MySQL 4.0.25 and i want to upgrade to the latest version, could anyone tell me how i would go about updating it please. :D

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

MySQL 4.0.25 is considered to be the most stable/best version for use. If you want to upgrade to MySQL 4.1, you can do this under the "Tweak Settings" section of WHM.

Please note, that any databases created with MySQL 4.1x will need to be modified to work with 4.0x again.

3. Rave5

Rave5 Member

All I had to do is select MySQL 4.1, and click the checkbox for old password format. 4.1 is perfectly stable, and is in fact the previous generally available release. 4.0 is outdated. 5.0 is the latest stable release, and 5.1 is alpha. I use MySQL 5 on a production server with no problems, and before that 4.1.

4. lifehost

lifehost Member

Hi, so could you explain on how to update to 5.0 please :D

5. Rave5

Rave5 Member

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=48709

Pretty much what you need to do, though make sure you use --nodeps on MySQL-bench-5.0.18-0.rpm, as it depends on perl-DBI, but it's installed...just not through RPM. I used the Linux General RPMs statically linked against glibc, and installed all but the dynamic client libraries + 3.23 dynamic client libraries, only the normal dynamic libraries. Also, be sure to touch /etc/mysqlupdisable as chirpy said in that topic, or cpup will "upgrade" to 4.1 or 4.0, whatever you have selected.

I also recommend that you backup ALL of your MySQL data before proceeding...I ran a mysqldump, killed MySQL, and then backed up the actual MySQL data dir before starting.

#5 Rave5, Jan 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2006