The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating to PHP 5.6.6

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Brian Johnson, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I need to update to PHP 5.6.6 in order to secure my server. I am trying become PCI compliant (Am I seriously the only person in the world who does this? I must be.), and it sounds like this is the only version that my PCI scanner will be okay with.

I can't find anything anywhere about updating to that version. I followed the spiderweb of documentation, and got nowhere. I downloaded the PHP 5.6.6 file to the opt mod directory and unzipped it, which as far as I can tell is what I'm supposed to do, and then tried to select it from the exhaustive list but it didn't show up.

How can I go about this?

2. cPJacob

cPJacob cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hello,

PCI scanners should be fine with the latest version of a PHP major version that's up to date. IE: If you're using PHP 5.4, it should be okay with PHP 5.4.38. If you're using PHP 5.5, it should be okay with you using 5.5.22. You can rebuild Apache and PHP to these versions.

Currently, EasyApache 3 does not support PHP 5.6. We are building in support for PHP 5.6 in EasyApache 4, which we're planning to have a Tech Preview (non-production use) of in cPanel 11.50.

I hope this helps!

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    That is actually tremendously helpful. The new scan results just came in, and almost all of the severe threats have now been eliminated.

I sort of wish my scanning company, under recommendations would just LIST all of the acceptable versions of PHP instead of saying, "Please upgrade to the latest stable version" when clearly it's not available to everyone... But, I guess we are all good now, thank you!