The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating WHM nameservers doesn't change account DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by clse945111, Jun 2, 2014.

1. clse945111

clse945111 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm quite new to managing a full WHM/cPanel server myself, as I'm still mainly doing reseller stuff.
    So I have setup 3 DNSonly servers in 3 different locations, and I'm currently using 1 full WHM/cPanel server to test (I will be using more full WHM servers in the future, now I'm just testing)

Now I'll give each server a name:
    DNSonly1, DNSonly2, DNSonly3, and fullWHM (total 4 servers in this case)

my new nameservers domain:
    DNSonly1Domain, DNSonly2Domain, DNSonly3Domain

old nameservers:
    oldDNS1, oldDNS2

Domain names used to test:
    DomainA and DomainB

So I have faced this problem while testing:
    My old nameservers (oldDNS1, oldDNS2) were already being used by fullWHM,
    DomainA was already present in WHM (As a hosting account), and then I changed the nameservers to DNSonly1Domain, DNSonly2Domain, DNSonly3Domain.
    DomainA now doesn't work, and when I do a DNS check (on Pingdom and intoDNS), they show something like this:
    "FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems! "

So it looks like although the nameservers have been changed to the new ones (DNSonly1Domain, DNSonly2Domain, DNSonly3Domain) through domain registrar, fullWHM somehow hasn't changed the nameservers associated with DomainA.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOWEVER, when I add DomainB to fullWHM AFTER the new nameservers(DNSonly1Domain, DNSonly2Domain, DNSonly3Domain) have been assigned to fullWHM (replacing oldDNS1, oldDNS2), everything works fine.
    I also tested this method with DomainA and it worked, so I assume this is not the domain registrar's problem.

So basically if I add the domain before nameserver change - it WON'T work
    If I add the domain after nameserver change - It will work.

Does anyone know what the issue is? Is there some configurations that I need to do for existing accounts to use the new nameservers?

Regards

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You need to edit the DNS zones for the existing domain names using a tool such as:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Edit DNS Zone"

Make sure the name servers in the zone match the ones used at the domain registrar. This will ensure there are no mismatch errors at websites that check for DNS problems.

Thank you.

3. urgido

urgido Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have the same issue,
    I have more than 200 domains with this issue, Is possible make changes in bulk?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may find the following thread helpful:

Bulk DNS Zone Change

Thank you.