Upgrade an empty MySQL 8 to MariaDB

farhad0

Jul 9, 2007
Hi,

I installed Cpanel and I spent much time to configure it,
But after installation and configuration I found that CPanel installed MySQL 8 as default for database

Currently I don't have any database on my server but I prefer to upgrade my current MySQL to Mariadb now
is there any solution to do such things without installing Cpanel from scratch?

I don't see any upgrade option in MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade page to do such things

Appreciate for any help

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! This is not a way to switch from MySQL 8 to MariaDB at this time. We mention this in our documentation here: MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade | cPanel & WHM Documentation

"You cannot upgrade MySQL 8 to MariaDB 10.x due to incompatibilities between these versions. For more information, read MariaDB’s documentation. However, system administrators can change databases from MySQL 8 to MariaDB 10.3 during the cPanel & WHM version 92 installation process. For more information, read our Installation Guide."

The best way to get that version installed would be to customize the installation process using the details here: Customize Your Installation | cPanel & WHM Documentation

farhad0

Jul 9, 2007
@cPRex

Thank you for reply,
As I mentioned I don't have any database and data to worry about losing or converting,
So is it hard to uninstall current MySQL and install MariaDB ?

AzeDK

Jul 14, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex

Thank you for reply,
As I mentioned I don't have any database and data to worry about losing or converting,
So is it hard to uninstall current MySQL and install MariaDB ?
If you have CloudLinux installed on the server, you might be able to switch mysql 8 into mariadb 10.3 using the documentation here:

Ive had previous success switching mysql/mariadb using mysql governor.

Reactions: cPRex