leemonster

Apr 7, 2021
Canterbury, New Hampshire
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have exhausted every option and cannot find an answer. I am installing an application that calls for cURL 7.7.* and my version is currently 7.29.0.

Now, I have tried doing this from the command line and it worked flawlessly. Only issue is that it corrupted my WHM / cPanel. So, I reloaded the OS and have been digging through the WHM interface, documentation, web searches and I cannot find anything that leads me to the correct path of upgrading cURL.

So, I simply would like too find a way of upgrading cURL without corrupting WHM / cPanel.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Can you let me know what issues you ran into with cPanel when you updated curl? In general, there can be conflicts when trying to update an individual package that isn't supported by the OS, as 7.29 is the latest I see available on CentOS 7. Even CentOS 8 is only showing 7.61 when I checked a machine just now.

leemonster

Apr 7, 2021
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Well, the build went great. No issues, but when i rebooted and went to get into WHM it was gone. As was cPanel. They must have gotten corrupted during the upgrade. I was following a tutorial I found that made it seem very easy. NOT!

leemonster

Apr 7, 2021
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have a dev machine at my house that I upgraded, but it does not have cPanel / WHM on it. So, I just naturally thought it would work with all the software together.

I just checked my dev server and it is centos 7 with cURL 7.76.0. So that build did work. But without cPanel / WHM. The app I am installing is connect by KodeMint.

Last edited:

leemonster

Apr 7, 2021
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
So, I found another tutorial that seemed doable. You can find it here How to Build and Install latest cURL version on CentOS and Ubuntu? (geekflare.com) I extracted the steps to load cURL 7.76.0 onto centos 7and placed them below.

After the installation, cPanel / WHM was still accessible. So, I furthered the testing by rebooting the server and both cPanel / WHM were still accessible.

So after several failed attempts, this seems to be a viable solution. For me anyway.

Code:
# Installing the required packages
yum install wget gcc openssl-devel -y

# Download the latest cURL source – you can refer to their official download page to know the latest version.
wget https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.76.0.tar.gz

# Extract the downloaded gz file
gunzip -c curl-7.76.0.tar.gz | tar xvf-

# Go inside the newly created folder after extraction
cd curl-7.76.0

# Configure with SSL as below
./configure --with-ssl

# Let’s install them
make
make install

# Check the version
curl --version