SOLVED Upgrade from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 on Existing Server

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi All.

Have a server running CentOS 6 with WHM and cPanel.

Want to upgrade it to CentOS 7.

My server hosting people say that doing this will wipe the existing server before CentOS 7 is installed.

Have downloaded the home and backup directories to my local drive.

Once I have the CentOS 7 installed, can I just upload the home directory and be good to go?

Or can I create the accounts again (only 3 of them) and then restore from backup to get them current?

Or are there other considerations?

Read about the migration tool, but that would not apply here correct?.....since it is the same server where the update is occuring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kodeslogic

Apr 26, 2020
IN
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Upgrading the Operating system on the current server with a live website is not recommended. Just restoring the /home will not work.

The best approach would be to get the new server with CentOS 7 + cPanel then migrate the accounts from the old server to the new server. Once you confirm that everything is working fine on your new server then you can shut down and terminate your old server after 2-3 days.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You'd basically have to do the following:

• Run cpanel backups on all the accounts
  • Copy them off the server (or run the above backup to a remote location)
  • Have the data center re-install CentOS V7 and cPanel/WHM
  • Configure things the way you want it
  • Download the backups and restore
If you can afford it, it's much easier to have 2 servers and use the WHM transfer system to move things. Then you still have the old server for reference (check settings etc.).

kodeslogic

Apr 26, 2020
IN
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would still recommend getting the new server(same configuration) with CentOS 7 + cPanel and do the migration. Once everything working on the new server you can terminate the old server.

anoopk350

May 6, 2020
Chennai
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Take backups of all accounts to a remote location and reinstall the server with latest centos or cloud, and then install cpanel. After the completion of cpanel installation and configuration, download the backups from the remote location and restore it.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would also recommend getting a second machine. You would only need to have two systems up and running during the time it takes to perform the migration and confirm things are working well, and then you could shut down the old system.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It does some of those things for sure - there's a full list here:

Anything that isn't on that list would need to get moved manually between the servers, or reconfigured on the new machine.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You should be able to get a trial license which is good for 15 days while you perform that migration work. If that doesn't happen automatically when you set up the new machine, just let our team know and we can get that set up for you. Once the migration is done you can change the existing paid license over to the new machine.

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I gotta tell you guys..........the instructions on that Transfer tool are insanely complicated......lol.....Most of that stuff at the top is like Swahili to me......lol.......z

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
My Swahili isn't too good!

Most of the details on that page are giving you warnings for every possible situation you could run into. If you go to WHM >> Transfer Tool on the new machine and just try and connect, you'll see what options you have in the interface. The main thing you'll want to decide is if you want to use Live Transfer or not, but the general process is something like this:

-lower the TTLs in the DNS zones you plan to move a day or two in advance
-transfer the data (and settings if you want) through the Transfer Tool
-confirm the sites are working well on the new machine
-switch the DNS to point to the new server

Zardiw

Sep 22, 2017
Palm Springs
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think we need to UN solve this........there are several issues..... so far here's the first.

I'm currently running MySql 5.7 on the old server........the only options on the new server are Maria versions.

I have upgraded to the latest Maria 10.3.

NOW, will the 'Transfer' tool migrate my databases from MySql 5.7 to Maria 10.3?

I have the new server and am in the process of preparing it for the 'Transfer'

So far the first issue has been DNS.

I have inserted the NEW IP address of the New server into all the DNS records on the Old server......because right at the beginning it was grabbing the ns1/ns2 IP addresses from the old server....

Sigh....I think this is going to be a Nightmare...........

z