The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from mysql 5.5.42 to MariaDB

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by markvegas, Aug 24, 2015.

1. markvegas

markvegas Member

Mar 18, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a few questions relating to Upgrade from mysql 5.5.42 to MariaDB, any help is much appreciated.

The server is running a few sites using the latest wordpress with associated plugins, woocommerce, I am assuming from info I can find this will be happy with MariaDB

1) should mysql be upgraded to 5.6 first ? or go straight into MariaDB

2) Any potential errors or pitfalls I should watch out for?

3) Any advice on setting MariaDB conf file for best performance, cant find much info about this

4) Has anyone used MariaDB and thought yes this is the way forward or regretted updating to it?

thanks so much

kamm likes this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Yes, but this is actually handled automatically when using "WHM Home » Software » MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade". Simply choose MariaDB and the upgrade process will iterate over each intervening version to ensure tables are upgraded appropriately.

2. Here are the warnings you will see displayed in the upgrade wizard:

3. You can use a MySQL tuner with MariaDB in the same way you can for MySQL. This can help provide you with configuration values to modify in order to fine tune it's performance.

4. You can search for "MariaDB" on our forums to see reports from other users who are using it.

Thank you.