Upgrade from MySQL4 to MySQL5. Will my scripts stop working?

SuperBaby

Nov 27, 2003
Thailand
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Twitter
I am currently running PHP 5.2.9 but I am still using MySQL4. I am running a lot of Perl and PHP scripts (that use MySQL database) in my websites. I would like to upgrade to MySQL5 but I worry that my scripts will stop working. Will my scripts stop functioning?

After upgrading and if there are problems, can I switch back to MySQL4?

pjman

Mar 22, 2003
New York
Should be safe.

I had the same predicament last year. Should I upgrade MYSQL from 4.0.x to 5, when I had to upgrade PHP to 5? I chose to keep MYSQL 4.0x. I'm about to upgrade next week. From all my research, I here that the jump to MYSQL 4.1x is a pain, but very do-able. And the leap to MYSQL 5, is easy.

I haven't heard anyone report big problems with any scripts of any kind when moving to MYSQL to 5. If you hear anything, I would love to know.

Good Luck....

PlatinumServerM

PartnerNOC
Jul 10, 2005
New Jersey, USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Upgrading from mysql4 to mysql5 sometimes does cause problems with existing databases/scripts. Sometimes it goes smoother than others. Always make full backups just in case and you should be fine if something goes wrong.

UBERHOST

Jan 13, 2008
California, US
Adding to all of the above, I'd say that if you have scripts so outdated that they would be broken by upgrading MySQL, such scripts pose a security hazard to your server.