The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from PHP 5.2x to PHP 5.3x on a production server? Advisable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jols, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

I know that might be a dumb question, but when PHP v5.3 first came out I was told by someone here it was actually a total rewrite and so on, and I was advised to wait until such and such modules were also made compatible with PHP 5.3 or else there would likely be many problems with incompatibilities among installed packages.

Spin ahead one year (or so), and I am wondering if we will face the same thing these days with compatibility issues on a production server if we simply used easyapache to rebuild Apache with the newest version of PHP v5.3x?

Any special tasks that I would need to manually apply (e.g. edits to the php.ini file) in order to assure compatibility?

Thanks so much.

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

As far as I can tell, it isn't safe to upgrade PHP on a shared server to 5.3 since many of the legacy application may crash. since many of the functions in PHP 5.2 are deprecated in PHP 5.3, there is nothing much tweaks we can do in conf file.

Some of the apps like Joomla, drupal ( older versions ) will not work fine with 5.3.

But if you have the complete control over the source code in the apps, you can review the code to make sure it will work fine with PHP 5.3 and upgrade PHP on the server.

Thank you,
    Nibin,

3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Thanks Nibin,

Hmmmm, it is the same situation then that we were warned about many months ago. It seems then that we will be stuck at 5.2x until such a time that we can put up a clean server with zero accounts, e.g. that are migrated from older servers, etc. Bummer.

4. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, since you have clients who stick with old codes..you will have to maintain PHP 5.2 on your server. Another option is to provide multiple versions of PHP ( with default cPanel installation it isn't possible - the best options I know to provide multiple PHP versions are 1H HIVE and LiteSpeed web server ). Then you can set the default PHP version to PHP 5.3 and use htaccess rules to use PHP 5.2 for conflicting accounts!

Thank you,
    Nibin.