SOLVED Upgrade libxml on CentOS

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
My vps server has ibxml2 Version 2.9.1

Because was security risk, haven't update.

Possibly, i must this upgrade on SSH.

Thanks.
Hello,

You can update packages provided by your OS with the following command:

Code:
yum update
Could you elaborate more on the specific security risk you are referring to, and let us know which OS is installed?

Thanks!

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
[[email protected]~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, universal-hooks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* EA4: 1xx.xx.xxx.245
* base: nl.mirror.xxxxx.network
* extras: nl.mirror.xxxxx.network
* updates: nl.mirror.xxxxx.network
No packages marked for update

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Please post the output from the following commands:

Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release
rpm -qa|grep libxml2
Also, could you elaborate on the specific security concern this is in reference to?

Thanks!

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
libxml2-2.9.1-6.el7_2.3.x86_64
libxml2-python-2.9.1-6.el7_2.3.x86_64
libxml2-devel-2.9.1-6.el7_2.3.x86_64

Please see visit this Releases

If i don't upgrade to 2.9.4, my website will be hacked, there was still 2.9.1 version older.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
libxml2-2.9.1-6.el7_2.3.x86_64
Hello,

Could you elaborate on the specific security concern this is in reference to? That's the most recent version published by CentOS for CentOS 7.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

The system is already using the most recent version published for that package by CentOS. You should not update the package manually. Could you elaborate on the specific security concern this is in reference to?

Thanks!

Reactions: Samet Chan

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
TrevorH said:
I'm afraid you are going to destroy your system if you continue like this. We do not encourage or support source installs of anything, especially not system critical packages like openssl and definitely not python. All the Redhat supplied system tools are written in python and depend on the *exact* version that is shipped with the distro. Do not replace it or yum will stop functioning.

You are encouraged to learn about package management and how to maintain your system. The package manager is called yum and it should be used to install and upgrade packages.

http2 is not supported on CentOS 7 at all as yet. If you run nginx then the nginx supplied repo has packages that do have http2 supported using NPN but ALPN is not supported as that requires a newer openssl than CentOS currently ships.

Your system is now in an unsupportable state and next time you use yum to update it, it may break everything that you have used a source install for. If yum wants to update openssl for example, your source installed openssl is likely to break. That is assuming that yum even functions any more...
Won't work upgrade, because will be destroy the system of server.

Thanks for help again!

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I ran into a similar issue with an (apparently) old version of a file on CentOS, but I found out that version numbers alone aren't an accurate representation of security vulnerabilities in CentOS because they backport security fixes, retaining old version numbers.
You can read more about it here:

RedHat CentOS Backporting Security Fixes
Thanks for about security fix. :)