The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snet, May 25, 2006.

1. snet

snet Active Member

I am currently running MySQL 4.0 and for a while now I've been thinking about upgrading to MySQL 4.1. If I upgrade to MySQL 4.1, will it break any of the scripts/databases that I currently have on my server? Any issues that I should be aware of? What are the benefits of MySQL 4.1 over 4.0? Is it even worth upgrading?

Thanks,

Steve

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You should take a backup of all existing databases before upgrading in case you need to downgrade to 4.0.

The databases are stored in /var/lib/mysql - just copy the entire directory and it's contents to somewhere safe.

It is also advisable to dump the data to .sql files so that all tables and their contents can be imported into the new 4.1 databases in case the 4.1 databases have problems.

You should also check "Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1 (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)" in WHM > Tweak Settings after you have upgraded just to be on the safe side.

4.0 -> 4.1 is not automatically reversible. As long as you have good backups before you start you can at least revert to how things were if any major problems are encountered.

To be honest, I haven't risked it yet myself!

3. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

we see bad things happen for scripts / application on some client servers which does not have the backup made. There are major changes on the MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1 and if some of your application sql query is written that is incompatible to run in MySQL 4.1, you will see lots of problems. Follow snet suggestion to backup a copy of your MySQL database before proceed for any upgrade.

4. kistler

kistler Well-Known Member

I did the upgrade, everything is working fine and no complaints or issues –

BUT now I get a warning about having 4.0.x although I have 4.1.19 ??

5. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

It's not saying that YOU are using 4.0.x, it's just a general warning that is being displayed throughout everybody's WHM, no need to worry. :)

6. kistler

kistler Well-Known Member

i am kinda guessing that, just takes up so much room ;) and i dont need to read it lol

7. RKF

RKF Member

Some older scripts would need updating for compatibility, if for example the authors used MYSQL reserved words for their aliases that worked on 4.0 but not 4.1.

If people have home-baked scripts on their systems or old versions of publically available ones, you'd either have to audit the accounts and wait months for everyone to catch up, or just do it and see who screams.