The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to 11.24.4 and some accounts not listed in WHM now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by babakb, Dec 17, 2008.

1. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Roughly 70 to 80 out of 300 accounts are no longer listed in WHM after the nightly upgrade to 11.24.4. I tried /scripts/upcp --force but that didn't help. The missing domains still have their web site load up but their mail isn't working. They keep getting invalid login errors and also mail to them is bouncing back.

I checked and the missing domains are no longer listed in /etc/userdomains

What's going on?

2. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

OS is CentOS 4.7

3. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

You might be better off submitting a support ticket.

4. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

I've submitted a ticket to my host and they are investigating. As a patch up I copied over /etc/userdomains,v over /etc/userdomains so at least customers can check their mail. But their domains are still not listed in WHM and we need to find the root of the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this problem with the upgrade to 11.24??

5. theprimehost

theprimehost Active Member

We had this happen to one of our servers to. We've opened a ticket with cpanel for review.

6. theprimehost

We keep getting exim failed notifications but it says it restarted. Were you able to get it working? We copied it over like you did and it sends / receives but no mail is coming in.

7. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Please kindly post an update here if you learn anything from the cPanel folks. I'm still waiting to hear back from my license provider..

8. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Yes, it occurred on one of our servers but not the other. Anything unique about that specific server? Ours has some accounts with usernames > 8 characters and also has Tomcat support enabled. Does this ring a bell?

9. theprimehost

It looks like copying userdomains,v to userdomains fixed the email for existing accounts but not new test accounts.

No, no tomcat here. I'm still waiting on a reply from cpanel.

10. theprimehost

Does your service status for exim keep showing as down? Mine does but users report it as up.

11. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

No exim doesn't show as being down. Works fine. Although mail service doesn't work at all for the missing accounts. The server rejects incoming mail with a user does not exist error. They also get an invalid login when they try to check their mail. Makes sense since their usernames are missing from /etc/userdomains and /etc/trueuserdomains

/etc/rebuildcpusers doesn't solve the problem.

My license providing host still doesn't know why this is occurring with the latest update.

Anyone got this fixed by cPanel folks? Any help would be appreciated.

12. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are in the process of tracking down the issue.

As posted above, something is causing some of the various domain files in /etc ( e.g. /etc/userdomains ) to either become zero length or only contain a single entry ( usually *:nobody). This causes a cascading series of events.

Once we have more information, we will gladly share it with it (as well as fixing the issue).

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    So far each of these I've seen has been the result of the manual addition of a user with the same uid as the cpanel user. Once the extra user is removed and /scripts/updateuserdomains is run, everything returns to normal.

14. babakb

babakb Well-Known Member

Nick,
    Thank you guys for figuring this out. I guess there is always a risk of breaking something when we step out of the default cPanel setup. In our case, we were migrating customers from a standard Linux server and the hack was done to make the experience seamless for our customers. More specifically to allow migrated customers to continue checking their mailboxes using the same username (<userid> vs. <userid>@<domain>). Anyways, we're now asking them to add the @<domain> portion to the POP usernames and removing the manual entries from /etc/passwd

I remember thinking this is going to break something down the road. That was almost 2 years ago. I was right.

Another hack we did was to allow usernames longer than 8 characters. That has yet to hunt us (we have Fantastico and MySQL disabled for those customers).