The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to MariaDb

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Bjw, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Bjw

Bjw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello I am Bjw.Been running websites for some years and have been using DirectAdmin for years.I did a lot of reading on WHM and cpanel and decided to get them when I had my servers upgraded.I really like the control and the user friendly interaction.

For all of you thats experienced at using it I was wondering about a couple of things.Is there a chance of me losing my database or causing it to be read by my php code if I update it from 5.5 mysql to MariaDB?

I am not to good at actually fixing things if they get broke.I can write the code and queries but I am terrible at having to find problems on the server side.

Also I was wondering I notice it says there is no way to get it back to its older condition if I have a problem.

I also was wondering I know the WHM backups sites and user profiles but is there a place that actually backs the whole server including system and all in cpanel.

Like I said I am not very experienced on the server end for running them for around 8 years and doing most thngs from the command lines.

I do love the control of WHM and cpanel.

Thanks for any feed back and its nice to meet you all.

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    First of all that MariaDB is same as Mysql but MariaDB is much faster than Mysql. We have installed it in lots of clients servers and clients are not facing any issue till now. All sites works well without any issue. Your PHP code will not affect the MariaDB.

Yes, you cannot revert back it to orginal state because installing MariaDB will remove Mysql completely. But if you are having backup of your database in .sql format than you can restore your site on another server.

You can set backup to take all configuration files backup including accounts backup. It will take your accounts backup as well as cpanel configuration files backup.

3. Bjw

Bjw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you so much for the feedback.I know I may be asking simple questions but for example if run an export from the normal sql would I be able to import to mariaDb just like mysql.I see you said its the same so there would be know issues doing that correct.
    I just want to be sure before I do it :lol:

And thank you again for all your help

OK I took the plunge and upgraded as you explained and now I understand.Very very easy with no errors with one little glitch.I had Innodb set to off in my.cnf file
    I changed it to innodb_file_per_table=1 and the installation went without a hitch.

this is my.cnf after the install which I see no changes

[mysqld]
    default-storage-engine=MyISAM
    innodb_file_per_table=1
    max_allowed_packet=268435456
    open_files_limit=10000
    innodb_buffer_pool_size=134217728

I have 1tb disk with 16gigs

any changes reccommended from anyone or does that seem ok.
    I think I have a glitch somewhere either in my code or in my apache as I run 8% cpu to 55% at times but I am running a lot of announces to my system .Seems a bit high to me.I have checked and the sql is mariaDb and I see no reason in the logs.When I run top its the sql thats getting hit but only a few times and hour.

The site does not reach a time out or anything just the cpu usage bothers me.

running 4 processors
    Processor #1
    Vendor
    GenuineIntel
    Name
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    Speed
    1600.000 MHz
    Cache
    3072 KB

#3 Bjw, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  4. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I see you have set max_allowed_packet quite high. This makes MariaDB/MySQL to utilize more memory than needed. I would suggest you to run mysqltunner or mysql-primer script on your server to optimize it better.

5. Bjw

Bjw Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Wow a BIG SUPER thank you.I ran mysqltuner and followed there suggestions and my servers running 8% cpu.Now to fix some queries I have in some poorly written code I have written .I am so grateful for your suggestions and the mariaDb is a great deal.

Thank you so much.

This thread may help others for sure :)

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator