The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to mySQL 5.0... is it time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonedog, May 24, 2006.

1. tonedog

tonedog Member

I have searched the forums here on this topic but most of the information is old enough to leave questions. As of now is it safe to upgrade to mySQL 5.0 in WHM? Are folks still having trouble with fantastico stuff like OSCommerce etc.? Pitfalls?

Thanks in advance!

2. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

If you have any accounts that use their own coded PHP/MySQL apps, I would say DON'T DO IT. I have a number of customers who have created their own PHP/MySQL apps, and there are syntax changes (mostly done by lazy coders to begin with) that will break a lot of people's apps.

I got a huge screaming at by a number of customers. I immediately reverted back to 4.1, which was not pretty by the way, so if you're currently on 4.1 and there are no problems, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

3. tonedog

tonedog Member

Thanks for the info... I have done all of the custom php/mysql work on the sites on the server so therefore I am not too worried about that. I was mostly considering OSCommerce, PHPBB and other stuff in fantastico...

Anyone else care to weigh in? Anybody already made the jump to 5.0 ?

4. NovemberRain

NovemberRain Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 was a pain but yesterday I upgraded from 4.1 to 5.0 and didn't have any problems.

5. softwareguy

softwareguy Member

Also had no problems upgrading from 4.1 to 5.0.

6. tonedog

tonedog Member

Great! Glad to hear this! I am currently on 4.0, though... Should I upgrade to 4.1 and then to 5.0 or should I just go straight to 5.0? My thought process was to go straight there as opposed to messing with stuff twice.

7. danf

danf Active Member

You should probably read the MySQL documentation about this. They say you should only upgrade one step at a time (4.0 -> 4.1, then 4.1 to 5.0).

8. tonedog

tonedog Member

Just a follow-up and thanks to all. The upgrade went perfectly. No trouble at all. MySQL 5.0 is great!!! Thanks!