Upgrade to mySQL 5.0... is it time?

tonedog

Nov 11, 2005
I have searched the forums here on this topic but most of the information is old enough to leave questions. As of now is it safe to upgrade to mySQL 5.0 in WHM? Are folks still having trouble with fantastico stuff like OSCommerce etc.? Pitfalls?

Thanks in advance!

jrehmer

Apr 10, 2003
Denver, CO
tonedog said:
I have searched the forums here on this topic but most of the information is old enough to leave questions. As of now is it safe to upgrade to mySQL 5.0 in WHM? Are folks still having trouble with fantastico stuff like OSCommerce etc.? Pitfalls?

Thanks in advance!
If you have any accounts that use their own coded PHP/MySQL apps, I would say DON'T DO IT. I have a number of customers who have created their own PHP/MySQL apps, and there are syntax changes (mostly done by lazy coders to begin with) that will break a lot of people's apps.

I got a huge screaming at by a number of customers. I immediately reverted back to 4.1, which was not pretty by the way, so if you're currently on 4.1 and there are no problems, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

tonedog

Nov 11, 2005
Thanks for the info... I have done all of the custom php/mysql work on the sites on the server so therefore I am not too worried about that. I was mostly considering OSCommerce, PHPBB and other stuff in fantastico...

Anyone else care to weigh in? Anybody already made the jump to 5.0 ?

tonedog

Nov 11, 2005
Great! Glad to hear this! I am currently on 4.0, though... Should I upgrade to 4.1 and then to 5.0 or should I just go straight to 5.0? My thought process was to go straight there as opposed to messing with stuff twice.

danf

Apr 10, 2006
tonedog said:
Great! Glad to hear this! I am currently on 4.0, though... Should I upgrade to 4.1 and then to 5.0 or should I just go straight to 5.0? My thought process was to go straight there as opposed to messing with stuff twice.
You should probably read the MySQL documentation about this. They say you should only upgrade one step at a time (4.0 -> 4.1, then 4.1 to 5.0).

tonedog

Nov 11, 2005
Just a follow-up and thanks to all. The upgrade went perfectly. No trouble at all. MySQL 5.0 is great!!! Thanks!