Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I have a cPanel&WHM version 78.0.20. I have received email that "The installation of “MySQL” is out of date on the server." I have MySQL version 5.6.43. Should I to upgrade on MySQL 5.7.?

Is it recommended to upgrade?

But on WHM-SQL Services-MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade I see that End of Life Date for MySql 5.6 is February 5, 2021

upload_2019-4-9_15-58-49.png

Thank you!

BR,
Elizabeta

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @Elizabeta,

It's typically a fairly smooth upgrade process from MySQL version 5.6 to version 5.7. The primary issue I've seen reported relates to the strict mode changes in MySQL 5.7. You can read more about this on the following post:

MySQL 5.5 to 5.7

Additionally, one approach you can take if you are concerned about potential compatibility issues is to temporarily setup a secondary server for testing purposes. Once the secondary server is setup and cPanel & WHM is installed (a free trial license is utilized by default), you can then migrate your accounts to that test server (without changing the DNS) via WHM >> Transfer Tool. At that point, you'd upgrade MySQL to the new version, update the hosts file on your local workstation to point the domains to the test server, and then verify the scripts function as expected on the new MySQL version.

Thank you.

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your answer.
I have decided to go to upgrade mysql to 5.7.
Then I clicked
MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade (Step 2 of 7) and I have some warnings

upload_2019-4-18_10-16-9.png

Should I ignore this warning and continue to upgrade mysql on 5.7?
Just info: I have no any user with mysql base at the moment on my server.

Thank you!

Br,
Elizabeta

Attachments

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Should I ignore this warning and continue to upgrade mysql on 5.7?
Just info: I have no any user with mysql base at the moment on my server.
Yes, you can safely ignore that warning if you have no user-created MySQL databases on this server. You can read more about it on the following thread:

MySQL 5.5 to 5.7

Thank you.