The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading an old install all the way to RELEASE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet112, Jul 12, 2012.

1. helmet112

helmet112 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi all,

I've never upgraded cPanel/whm on my VPS before, but noticed that I'm not set to automatically pick up new releases. I'm currently way back at 11.18.2 for cPanel and was thinking about upgrading to the current RELEASE version (in the 11.32.2 range right now).

Is this a wise thing to do? How long does an upgrade typically take? I find it hard to judge from other forum posts about "upgrade problems" how common they are.

Thanks or any tips!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure of any issues in doing this off hand, but you might try opening a ticket to cPanel and ask Technical Support about this to be sure.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please ensure you have full backups off the server if you decided to perform this upgrade. That is a very old version of cPanel. While I cannot say it will not go smoothly, the likelihood is there that it might not go well. I would actually ask us to perform the upgrade after the backups are made and are off the server somewhere secure in case you have any issues.

4. getmused

getmused Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    cPanel/WHM sould upgrade itself automatically every once in a while; however, if you want to do this manually then just follow these steps:

1) Login to your VPS as root using SSH

2) Run the command: /scripts/upcp -force

3) Restart cPanel: /etc/init.d/cpanel restart

The actual upgrade may take a while, so you will need to be patient.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel will not upgrade if upgrades are disabled in WHM > Update Preferences area, which is what the user stated initially:

Given how old the version is, it definitely wasn't updating periodically. I don't think the user was unaware how to upgrade, though, just the box hadn't been doing it. I do not suggest anyone on that old of a version to just perform an upgrade. Backups are a necessity first, then have us to the upgrade for you to be on the safe side.

Also, a cPanel restart isn't necessary after performing a cPanel update. We do that during the update toward the end.