The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading apache from 2.2 to 2.4

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Venomous21, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Venomous21

Venomous21 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recently configured a new VPS, which runs the latest version of cpanel, apache 2.4, php 5.5, mod_suphp, & mpm_prefork with suexec enabled. All the sites are working great (updated wordpress & drupal sites).

I have a few old servers, which currently run the exact same configuration above but with the latest version of apache 2.2 instead of 2.4. I know a few of the options under "Exhaustive options list" won't work from 2.2 to 2.4 and I plan to use the exact same options that the new VPS running 2.4 is using when upgrading the old VPS from apache 2.2 to 2.4 since they are working well.

I reviewed the cpanel documentation & various forum threads but would still like to ask questions for those that have done this upgrade using basically a default 2.2 to 2.4 configuration.

1) Should this upgrade more than likely work without issues based on the above information assuming I am just running up-to-date wordpress & drupal sites? What problems have people run into in similar upgrades?

2) Will I need to edit the httpd.conf file to the following (or will EasyApache generate / modify the existing httpd.conf file during the upgrade)? I've never edited any apache configs manually on these servers and have made all changes in WHM so I assume I'm using the default 2.2 conf. Will EA update the 2.2 config to be compatible with 2.4 or will I need to make manual changes (I believe I'm currently using 2.2 defaults)? Some of the documentation said the code is backwards compatible.

3) What do you recommend as the best cache option for 2.4 with mod_suphp, mpm_prefork & suexec enabled?

4) When EA updates, it makes a backup of the existing apache.conf, will I be able to downgrade to 2.2 using easy apache if I run into issues with 2.4 and use the backed up config? Or will I have to perform this downgrade manually outside of EA?

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

1. Generally, upgrades from Apache 2.2 to Apache 2.4 do not require manual intervention.

2. No, you should not have to manually modify your Apache configuration.

3. The following document is a good place to review existing options:

PHP Options - EasyApache - cPanel Documentation

4. You should not have to revert the configuration settings if you choose to switch back to Apache 2.2. You simply run EasyApache again, and select Apache 2.2 in the build profile.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!