The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading cPanel 9.2.0 to current.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mattwcu, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Mattwcu

Mattwcu Member

Hello. I have 2 questions and I was hoping someone might have the answers. First, we definitely need to upgrade our WHM. We are currently running the Stable 9.2.0, but have been a little squeemish about setting the automatic updates for fear of losing data. Is this concern justified? Is it possible we won't be able to get into our server WHM if the upgrade fails?

Also, should we be concerned in going from 9.2.0 to current "STABLE" release? (Such as, you can't upgrade from Win 95 to Windows XP anymore, something like that.) We do receive automatic security and cPanel packages, just not the actual WHM updates.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

-Matt :)

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Matt,

You shouldn't have any problems at all and you should have no problems coming from the version that you are currently on.

A couple of things to do after you have upgraded cPanel itself:

1. Make sure that exim has been updated:

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/eximup

2. Upgrade apache and php. Before you start, check your current version of php using:

php -v

If you have Zend Optimizer installed, you will need to upgrade it after the next stage to at least v2.5.7 otherwise php apps that use it will have problems with the newer version of php...

WHM > Software > Update Apache > Load Previous Config > Select a new php version (4.3.11 is fine) > Start Build - this can take quite a while to run (5-30 minutes) and you should not restart cPanel while it is running .

3. If you need to upgrade Zend Optimizer, have a read of this thread:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=39449

3. Mattwcu

Mattwcu Member

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

A follow up question - if I didn't upgrade the PHP or the Exim, would my services no longer work once I updated my WHM/Cpanel? Or is it just a good idea to upgrade in general once it is done?

4. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Good idea to upgrade.