The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Cpanel from WICKED OLD version. Advice? Stumbling Blocks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geddes2, Jul 12, 2006.

1. geddes2

geddes2 Member

Jun 19, 2006

I work for a university that set up a CPanel box a while ago for professors and staff to use for various projects, but has largely left it alone. The result is a way out of date version of CPanel that I would like to upgrade.

It is currently running WHM 10.0.0 and CPanel 10.0.0 -r85 and Redhat 9.

My question is, what problems have people run into when clicking the upgrade button that we should be prepared for? We have a test box running RHEL 3 and the latest versions of whm/cpanel (installed from scratch a few weeks ago) and when I clicked update, by examinging the log I figure it does the following things:

1. Updates /scripts...

2. Checks various apps:
    - PHP
    - FTP
    - Exim (maildir)
    - MySQL
    - bandmin
    - courier-authlib
    - courier-imap
    - portsentry

3. runs Redhat up2date

4. Updates CPAN Perl Modules

5. Updates CPANEL
    - Updates every installed "addon"

Other than general tips - I have a few specific questions. The Fedora legacy project keeps a much better repository of updates for Redhat 9, if I were to install yum and point it to the Fedora legacy project, would Cpanel know to use it?

My second question is about apache - in what phase of the update process is apache updated, if at all?

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise,
    - Geddes
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    Using FedoraLegacy is a good idea and easy to do following the instructions on their site. OInce done you need to:

touch /var/cpanel/useyum

Make sure that there's no /var/cpanel/useup2date file - if there is delete it.

Apache isn't upgraded by the upcp process, you have to do that yourself after it has all upgraded.

The only two things I would watch for are:

1. Make sure that yum works correctly before atempting to upgrade cPanel

2. Make sure that perl is at v5.8.7 and if not, upgrade using the package from

Other than that, it ought to be fine :)
  3. geddes2

geddes2 Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks Chirpy! That was a very helpful reply. Thanks for sacrificing your time to help out on these forums. I had heard that upcp would break custom apache modules, and after running upcp an apache recompile, or at least editing of httpd.conf if the module was dynamically loaded, was neccessary. does what you are saying - that upcp does not update apache - also mean that I can safely build a custom apache module and let cpanel autoupdate without fear that this module will break?

Thanks again - you've already been a great help. How do you know cpanel so well? :)

EDIT -- I think I figured this out - it isn't the upcp process that will kill apache custom modules, but the cpanel built in apache updating feature that will kill them. Understood.
    #3 geddes2, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006