The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading from mysql 4.0.x to 4.1.x went too easy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ffeingol, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. ffeingol

    ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2001
    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello everyone,

    OK I had read all the threads here on upgrading mysql and other articles etc. and I was expecting a bit of a mess when we did it. It actually went very smooth/easy so I'm wondering if things have changed or if the problems are just "lunking" and have not show themselves yet.

    Here is what we did:

    - ran /scripts/upcp to insure everything was up to date
    - went into tweak settings to change mysql for 4.0.x to 4.1.x, saved and then waited for things to run.
    - checked the mysql log to insure that thing updated, they did.
    - ran mysql_fix_privilege_tables to fix the permissions

    At this point we assumed that php and perl/cgi would be broke. However, when we ran php -v we did not get any library errors. We looked at a few websites on the server that used php/mysql and perl/cgi/mysql and it all worked. We were quite confused at this point.

    Just "to be sure" we:

    - ran easyapache/rebuilt php just to insure that php was using the latest libraries
    - ran /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql to insure that perl libraries were updated.

    Everything has been going smooth so far. Anyone have any comments/thoughts on a receint upgrade?

    Thanks,

    Frank
     
  2. AndyReed

    AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    Messages:
    2,222
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    To upgrade MySQL from v4.x to v4.1.x:
    You must have backup copies of your MySQL DBs, just in case :)

    Login WHM >> Tweak Settings, and change MySQL to 4.1.x and select the checkbox next to "Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1+ (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)". Then, click on "Save" button.

    SSH to the server and run these commands (in that order)
    Code:
    /scripts/mysqlup --force
    /scripts/easyapache
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql
    DONE!
     
  3. ffeingol

    ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2001
    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, we did this.

    We did this except we have not had to check the password part. I'm assuming that this is only the passwords used to access mysql and that is working smoothly.

    We did not run the /scripts/mysqlup --force, whm seemed to run that when we saved (we watched it from top), then we ran the easyapache and perlinstaller.

    If we run mysql -V it says 4.1 and listing the rpms shows:

    MySQL-embedded-4.1.21-0.glibc23
    MySQL-devel-4.1.21-0.glibc23
    MySQL-server-4.1.21-0.glibc23
    MySQL-shared-4.1.21-0.glibc23
    MySQL-bench-4.1.21-0.glibc23
    MySQL-client-4.1.21-0.glibc23

    So I think it went just fine. The only "fun" is that with the WHM upgrades things just seem to work a bit differently than the way people had documented only a month or so ago.

    Frank
     
Loading...

Share This Page