The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading kernel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zhongqiang, Apr 14, 2005.

1. zhongqiang

zhongqiang Member

hi all,

my whm prompted me to upgrade my kernel via RedHat's site. But how exactly do i upgrade it? kindly advice. thanks

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

What version of "redhat" are you running ? Do you not have someone available on payroll to administer such updates ?

If this is a production server, and you need to ask how to update a kernel, I would advise you NOT to try this first on a production server, especially if you have paying clients that are relying on you. You could render your server useless if you make an incorrect change.

If you do a search on these forums, you will find a plethora of information on how to update a kernel on a redhat machine. Redhat employs the RPM package management facility, and supported distrobutions will have a kernel available within the package manager ( up2date or yum ). Make sure your OS is still supported, if not, you'll want to start work on a migration plan.

3. StevenC

StevenC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are using a EOL version of redhat. i dont think that message appears for enterprise, etc. therefore you must use the shaky fedora legacy kernels or hand compile one. In either case RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Kernel compiling is an art :)

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

And can become quite addictive!

5. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

if this is a production box and you dont feel confident to do this, you should really play it save and get one of those guys above to do the work for you, as they are kernel junkies and know the ins and outs ;)