Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Upgrading MariaDB and old sites

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by panit, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. panit

panit Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    My server is currently using Maria 5.6 and I am wanting to upgrade to V 10. But there are quite a few sites on the server that can only run php 5.3. Will upgrading Maria cause problems with those sites?

I'm getting different answers and no one seems to know for sure. I've checked the Maria site but their doc's don't cover this, at least that I can find.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @panit,

Can you confirm that the system currently uses MySQL 5.6? If so, MariaDB 10.0 is a drop-in replacement for MySQL version 5.6, so you shouldn't have any problems with your scripts after that upgrade.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. panit

panit Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    The server was using 5.6 so I scheduled this change in and it was just completed. There were, are, may failures. Almost all of them have to do with size and default values in the database, like
    Code:
    Field 'some field' doesn't have a default value
    and
    Code:
    Data too long for column 'some field'
    I understand these are legitimate failures but it is happening with many sites and they all worked before. Is there a setting, like php "strict" setting in Maria that will ignore these situations.

A more important failure is one with a Greek based shop. None of the textarea's are being filled in. I have verified the data is being read from the database but it does not appear in the textarea. I can't think of anywhere to even begin with it. It worked before the upgrade so it has to be due to that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @panit,

Can you verify if you have the sql-mode option configured to a specific value in your /etc/my.cnf file or /usr/my.cnf (if it exists)? You can check with the following commands:

Code:
    grep sql_mode /etc/my.cnf
    grep sql_mode /usr/my.cnf
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. panit

panit Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    The one in etc/ is set to "NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION" and the one in usr/ is blank.

I asked my host to make those changes but instead they said they "switched the mysql modules for PHP 5.3 from mysqli to mysqlnd.". I don't know that that was all they did since that php version is only used on one of the accounts on the server but whatever they changed worked.

The only remaining issue now is with enlarging images. It is only for that one site that is running 5.3. The code uses the GD Library. The images enlarged prior to this change. Is there something in this upgrade that would affect the GD Libray? I thought that was just a php element.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @panit,

Keep in mind that PHP version 5.3 is at end-of-life status and is no longer supported. The best approach to solving this issue is to ensure the script is updated to work on a supported version of PHP. That said, the issue you described suggests a required PHP module is missing. You noted that GD is installed. Can you confirm if the script requires FreeType, and if so, if your PHPINFO file shows that FreeType is enabled? Your hosting provider may need to confirm this for you if you do not have root access to the server.

Thank you.