The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading mysql killed apache

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Hardy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hardy

Hardy Member

I've just upgraded MySql server from 4.x to the latest version 5.1. I realize that I am skipping over a few releases but the WHM interface assured me that it is an easy installation that will iterate through the missing releases and end up with the latest release. I used the automatic install that will recompile easyapache without user intervention. Everything seemed to have gone fine, and I got a message at the bottom saying that the upgrade was successful. I tried to load one of my sites that uses a mysql database but it was down. I SSHed to the server, I find that the Apache web server is down. When I tried to bring it up I got the following message.

Code:
    httpd: Syntax error on line 39 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 9 of /usr/local/apache/conf/php.conf: Cannot load /usr/local/apache/modules/libphp5.so into server: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14: version `libmysqlclient_14' not found (required by /usr/local/apache/modules/libphp5.so

When looking at the [Syntax error] at line 39 of httpd.conf i find this:
    Code:
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/php.conf"
    Seems fine to me

When looking at the [Syntax error] on line 9 of /usr/local/apache/conf/php.conf
    The entry look like this:
    Code:
    LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
    also looks fine to me, and the module does exist here: /usr/local/apache/modules/libphp5.so

Latley the seemingly missing libmysqlclient.so.14
    Does indeed exist in /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14

How can I go about fixing this and restarting Apache. All sites are currently down!

Any quick help would be much appreciated.

#1 Hardy, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. alphawolf50

alphawolf50 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First, what do you get from this:
    Code:
    # locate libmysqlclient.so
    It seems like PHP is referencing an old version of libmysqlclient.so, and I think there might be a newer version available on your system. (Mine is libmysqlclient.so.16, with MySQL 5.1.36 and PHP 5.3.8)

This is just a guess until someone has a better idea... in EasyApache under "Exhaustive Options List" is "Mysql of the system" checked? If not, you might try rebuilding PHP/Apache with that checked and see if that corrects it. You might try rebuilding anyway.

3. Hardy

Hardy Member

Thank you alphwolf for your reply.

We had to go through the good people at CPanel through the ticket system and they were able to help out.
    The problem in a nutshell was with the yum repository. The one I was using was down and they changed it and finalized the installation of Apache. Even though I am still having a few (mysql related) issues with this upgrade, the major hurdle was overcome. Both mysql and Apache are now functional.

Thanks again