The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading os virtual machine from centos 5 to 6 while maintaining all the apache settings

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Mangoose, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Mangoose

Mangoose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am bit an dilemma. I currently run 2 virtual machines via SolusVM with Cpanel WHS for virtual machine 1 and 2. Both virtual machines run CentOS 5 and I want to upgrade those virtual machines to CentOS 6 or perhaps even 7. However I had just dialed in all the sites I wanted to run on these virtual machines that withhold me from migrating just yet.

I most certainly do not want the settings in these virtual machines and their respective accounts and their specific Apache / Cpanel configuration to be lost.

What would you recommend I do.

Best regards

2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For now, I'd simply wait (unless there is something on 6/7 you desperately need) CentOS 5 will be around for a while yet. I agree that at the moment it's a little onerous getting a replacement VM setup exactly right, depending on whether / how you've documented your configuration changes.

I personally just wouldn't bother trying an in place 5-6 yum upgrade with cPanel installed, I'd think the chances of success minimal, others may be along to correct me.

You might like to vote on Clone a cPanel server configuration to a new server (excluding server specific items) | cPanel Feature Requests which will simplify the migration when you do perform it when the feature is implemented into cPanel.

This said, all configuration settings within an account will be retained when it is migrated from server to server using the provided WHM tools...

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Migrating the accounts to a new installation of CentOS/cPanel is advised over upgrading the OS directly. The cPanel transfer tools will ensure all aspects of the accounts are copied over. You can review the top comment on the feature request referenced in the previous post for information on how to copy some of the configuration data, but there are no automated tools to complete that for all configurations at this time. The following thread also provides information that while a bit dated, you may find helpful:

Moving Full cPanel/WHM Server

Thank you.