The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading php 4.3.9 to 4.3.10 lost modules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TogaDave, Jan 21, 2005.

1. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

This morning I had to upgrade apache and perl on my server, and in the process I upgraded PHP 4.3.9 to 4.3.10 and that broke a couple of things on my server. All the "Gallery" brand PHP based photo galleries wouldn't work, and all the XMB Forums would not work (phpBB and other photo gallery softwares were fine) after upgrading to 4.3.10. Not being much more than a novice when it comes to linux and command line stuff, I had to refer to a tech at my upstream to figure out what was going on. What we ended up having to do is upload my old libphp4.so file into the libexec folder (which put me back to 4.3.9) to get everything working again. He said that the newer one was missing modules that were loading in my httpd.conf file.

Does anyone know why this would have happened?

If you can handle a long story, here is how I ended up at this point:

The last few times I attempted to upgrade apache, whether from the link in WHM or from SSH with /scripts/easypache, I've run into a problem where it empties my httpd.conf file, creates thousands of core dump files filling the drive, deletes all the files outta my /usr/local/apache/libexec folder, and apache won't restart.

So I submitted a trouble ticket explaining that to cpanel, along with a couple of errors I had seen in the email I get from root in regard to /scripts/upcp running each night. I noticed in the email that it was saying "installed: gd-1.8.4-4" when I'm supposed to be running 2+, and the email also said "> Running make install
    > Cwd object version 3.01 does not match bootstrap parameter 3.02 at
    > /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 225", and I sent those facts along to cpanel.

The cpanel tech kindly replied with the following steps for me to take:

1. /scripts/cleangd

2. Install Perl:

wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl584installer.tar.gz
    tar xvzf perl584installer.tar.gz
    cd perl584installer
    ./install

3. Remove your old Perl(s) as listed in /usr/lib/perl5

4. Remove any special apache mods added manually or via WHM->cPanel VERSION-BUILD->Addon Modules

5. backup your httpd.conf file

6. /scripts/easyapache
    option 1
    (I usually used to use option 4 or 5, so step 6 puzzled me)

7. Let me know if apache then is able to compile and restart or not :)

So even though I was pretty damned scared to do it, and risk a ton of downtime and losing the few customers I have, I decided to give it a shot this morning.

Well, everything seemed to go fine and apache restarted after those steps, and I was ELATED that for the first time in a long time, easyapache didn't kill my httpd.conf file or delete my libexec files or create a bunch of core dump files or prevent apache from restarting.

BUT... then every part of every site on my server that uses MySQL and PHP was broken. I panicked a little, but I figured the "Option 1" easyapache install must have just left some things out that I needed, so I logged into WHM and used the Update Apache link and I hit the "Load Previous Config" button to make sure I was getting all the options I had before, and I let it do it's thing. The only thing I did differently, since I had seen PHP 4.3.10 being installed when I followed the cpanel tech's instructions, was I moved the check mark from 4.3.9 to 4.3.10.

Once that was completed, almost everything on the server and all the sites were working proper, including GD and MySQL, BUT now there were two distinct scripts that were broken on the server - all XMB Forums and all "Gallery" brand photo galleries. Since Gallery is PHP only and doesn't use MySQL, and all the phpBB boards were OK, it was obvious that the problem was with PHP somehow.

At that point I was pretty much crappin my pants because it was around 5:00am and my customers would be starting to wake up and use their sites soon and I didn't know wtf to do, so I called the techs at my upstream hosting provider. My tech said it seemed that the new PHP must have compiled without some of the modules I needed running, and since they're not real into WHM/cPanel at my upstream, he could only suggest that I upload the old libphp4.so file (thankfully I backed up my apache folder first). Well, that did the trick. Of course, it put me back to 4.3.9, but at least now everything is working.

Which leaves me still on my original quest - a safe / solid / reliable way to update apache from WHM without it breaking my server. It has been over 6 months since I've been able to do an apache update without spending 2-3 hours trying to get my server working again afterward. Can anyone relate to this? Or is this just my luck? I know I'm no expert, and that there's always the possibility that something in all this is my fault, but all I've ever done was run the update apache scripts that are supplied by cPanel/WHM and I'm tired of being scare to death of updating. :confused:

2. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Is Zend Optimizer is installed? If so make sure you install the latest version otherwise it might break any php script which uses foreach()

There are several threads about PHP 4.3.10 being incompatible with older versions of Zend Optimizer and IonCube.

3. TogaDave

Thanks for the info.

I believe I'm running 2.5.1

4. jamesbond

Well that would explain your problems :)

To install the latest zend optimizer run :

/scripts/updatenow

and then:

/scripts/installzendopt

5. TogaDave

Will I be risking another bout with recompiling and errors and downtime if I do that now this morning? Or should I wait until 3:00am?

6. jamesbond

I don't know if you will encounter problems rebuilding apache, what I do know is that PHP 4.3.10 needs Zend Optimizer 2.5.7 or higher.

Installing zend optimizer won't cause you any downtime, and you can always remove the line from your php.ini if you wish.

7. TogaDave

Great, thanks for the info!
    So I'm assuming I could just upgrade Zend for now and then wait til later to try upgrading PHP to 4.3.10. That works.

8. TogaDave

Just wanted to confirm / say thanks again - that was exactly the problem - Older version of Zend was causing probs for php 4.3.10.