The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading RH 7.3 server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickalo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Hello,

one of our dedicated servers is currently operating w/RH 7.3 and WHM/Cpanel and would like to upgrade the RH 7.3 along with all other necessary upgrades. My question is, what is the best proceedure to do this and can it be done without alot of downtime ?

If anyone has done this let me know what pit falls to expect or if it's better to just move to a new machine instead of upgrading the older O/S

TIA,
    Mickalo

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Considering the age of the Os you might be better of simply migrating to a new OS instead of trying to upgrade it, which could fail and you'd end up having to migrate anyway. An alternative if you want to keep the hardware would be to have a new OS disk installed with cPanel and migrate the data from the old OS disk mounted as a slave drive to the new.

3. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

i agree, I've done 7.3 upgrades to 8, and it was nasty, going from 7.3 to redhat es 3,4 would be even worse.... better off just getting a new server up and running with the latest os, and transferring accounts....

4. rusel

rusel BANNED

Maybe you should do upgrade do centos 4.2 ... centos is very stable and great on dedicated servers ( even hosting servers ) Regards.

5. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

I agree, I have been running CentOS 4.2 on a couple of servers and both are very stable.