mickalo

Apr 16, 2002
N.W. Iowa
Hello,

one of our dedicated servers is currently operating w/RH 7.3 and WHM/Cpanel and would like to upgrade the RH 7.3 along with all other necessary upgrades. My question is, what is the best proceedure to do this and can it be done without alot of downtime ?

If anyone has done this let me know what pit falls to expect or if it's better to just move to a new machine instead of upgrading the older O/S

TIA,
Mickalo

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
Considering the age of the Os you might be better of simply migrating to a new OS instead of trying to upgrade it, which could fail and you'd end up having to migrate anyway. An alternative if you want to keep the hardware would be to have a new OS disk installed with cPanel and migrate the data from the old OS disk mounted as a slave drive to the new.

fikse

May 10, 2003
i agree, I've done 7.3 upgrades to 8, and it was nasty, going from 7.3 to redhat es 3,4 would be even worse.... better off just getting a new server up and running with the latest os, and transferring accounts....

rusel

BANNED
Aug 1, 2005
Poland
Maybe you should do upgrade do centos 4.2 ... centos is very stable and great on dedicated servers ( even hosting servers ) Regards.