The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to Maildir, user folders disappeared

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bluepine, Aug 27, 2007.

1. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Greetings all,
    I was moving some accounts from one server (still using mbox) to a new one (using maildir) (both running WHM 11.2, using the multiple account transfer function) and I noticed that the user created folders (not created in any webmail, just created by users with their mail client, the user who complained used Thunderbird) are gone.

I have searched this forum a lot and found a lot of answers to resolve this problem for Squirrelmail created folders but the solution does not apply to me. The folder is not even in the mail directory of the user. So this is what I tried:

- Forced updates of exim and courier
    - Deleted the content of my test email directory and moved all the old mbox files in it
    - Run the convert2maildir file again

After the convert2maildir finishes in the user directory there are all the subdirectories for the main inbox mailbox but everything else (all the other files) have just been ignored AND deleted.

I would like to fix this issue, as I already moved about 60 sites and I am not really keen of reverting back to mbox and transferring everything again.

Thank you in advance!

Stefano

2. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

Stefano:

I would suggest contacting our tech support department in order for them to check your server configuration and see what can be done in regards the missing mail folders/data.

The conver2maildir script should also have a direct phone number available if you prefer to contact them via that route.

Thank you for your business.

3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Hope your problem was solved, but if it is, when I had a similar problem, I noticed the handling of special(international) characters was what prevented my migration...
    Maybe this will

4. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Thanks for the hint Perlchild... as Alex suggested I opened a support ticket and had a tech take a look to my issue. He could not convert the email account properly either so he suggested to try to convert them on the source server first and then try to transfer the already converted accounts. I am doing that right now and hopefully that will work.

Stefano