The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to MySQL 4.1x

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by celliott, Feb 28, 2006.

1. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

I am tempted to make the upgrade to MySQL 4.1 since a few customers have requested it, and it also includes added functionality for them. The procedure looks nice and straightforward after reading a quick guide however I am wondering what will happen to all the existing databases.

There are currently at least 50 databases on my server which have all been used with MySQL 4.0.25, the cpanel default. When I upgrade to 4.1 will they still work, are there likely to be any problems?

Any advise appreciated on this.

Thanks

#1 celliott, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  2. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

should be work okay if you just upgrade Mysql by cpanel upgrade option. But there is may happen issue. Especially in multilanguage environment. Mostly for collation and charset new features. Some older scripts (include commercial software) also can do not work correct. Another big problem is incompatibiltes with old mysql password system (you should enable old-password option when you will upgrade mysql). I can't recommend you this upgrade just becuase mysql 4.1 already is not mainstream version (current GA version is MySQL 5.0). I think will be better just wait further updates from MySQL. For user which anyway would like use MySQL 4.1 you may install it in different location and give to them access. But you will need do this manually.

3. celliott

So the existing databases created in MySQL 4.0 should work without needing modifications on MySQL 4.1?

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

It's often advised that you backup 4.0 databases before upgrading to 4.1, asyour databases will no longer be compatible if you downgrade back to 4.0.

5. celliott

What is the best method of backing up all databases?

6. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Since it's the format of the database files you are interested in preserving, instead of just the data, a copy of all that is in /var/lib/mysql may do the trick.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. However, if you do do that, be sure to stop chkservd and mysql before backing up those files otherwise you can be left with either corrupt or incomplete databases.